PDA

View Full Version : Skin Customization Kit: InstallShield branding looks wrong!

alastair.camero
11-05-2003, 01:19 PM
InstallShield Developer 8.02, InstallScript Project.

I'm using the Skin Customization kit to create a custom skin based on the Blue.skin file which ships with Developer.

I've followed the instructions in the documentation about the need to replace console2.gif from the extracted blue.skin with the copy from the \images folder in the kit (to avoid the branding appearing twice).

The problem I have is that when I produce a skin, the InstallShield branding logo looks small and unimpressive - not how it looks by default in blue.skin.

I've attached a .BMP which shows both the default branding and the branding from my custom skin.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong?

Thanks.

Alastair

RichAquino
11-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Hi Alastair,

I submitted WO 1-GR0CD for this.

Rich

Paul D
11-05-2003, 05:45 PM
The InstallShield Skin Customization kit always places a "InstallShield" on the lower left corner of the skin. This usually always looks nasty with the skin itself. It would be better if InstallShield simply removed this "Branding" and had a change in the LicenseAgreement to have the designer place an InstallShield branding on their skin. This way the "InstallShield" can look more in place with the rest of the skin.

alastair.camero
11-06-2003, 05:11 AM
This is lousy, and a work-order isn't really the workaround I was looking for.

Is there not any trick I can use so that when I produce the skin the correct "InstallShield" branding appears?

Can't I use an image of the InstallShield logo and have it appear in the area where the text branding appears?

I'm amazed that I can't get the same appearance as InstallShield's default skins, especially when it concerns the InstallShield logo itself!

Alastair

RichAquino
11-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Hi Alastair,

The problem is that that image is customized for each of the different skins. We couldn't just blindly dump an image onto any skin, because it would look worse.

The WO is proposing that we give the customer an option to choose from a set of "InstallShield" images, or to choose just the text.

Rich

alastair.camero
11-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Hello richard.

I understand what you are saying, however I can't get away from my gut feeling that is a design flaw (which shouldn't require a W/O to change) with the skin customization kit.

If the option of completely switching off "BRANDING" had been in there from the start, I could have switched it off, and still used the console2.gif image which includes the InstallShield logo (which is what we want).

Alternatively, I could use another image with my own company logo and not had the InstallShield text branding.

What happens now is the worst of both worlds - I can't specify my own company logo without having InstallShield added, and I can't even get the impressive looking InstallShield logo (which is what I really want) appearing on my custom skin - a rather weedy text version appears.

My apologise for the negative prognosis, but in this case I believe that InstallShield have acted in a rather proprietary way in trying to ensure the InstallShield branding appears on installs, and have made rather a mess of it in the process.

Alastair

solankij
05-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Please refer http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?postid=262746 for your solution.