PDA

View Full Version : Skin

hgaard
11-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Does anyone know why and when the setup.skin file is made read-only during installation. The problem occurs when i want to uninstall my application. Now the installshield prog prompts me for permission to modify the read-only file.

Hope to hear from someone...

RichAquino
11-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi,

This shouldn't be happening. My guess is that the .skin file was read-only at the time that you built the installation.

Can you look in the <InstallShield Installation Location>\skin folder, and make sure the skin you're using is not read-only?

If it isn't, another possibility is that this happens when installing an uncompressed media from a CD. Maybe, when the file on the CD is copied, it considers the file read-only, and retains that bit. To confirm this, first confirm whether you see setup.skin on the CD, then confirm whether you get the same problem when installing from a local (or network) copy.

Rich

hgaard
11-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Hi

Well I realize that the file should not be read-only, and it is not in all my other projects. However it gets the property during install, or just immediately after, because as I mentioned the problem occurs during Uninstall. This means that the file has no read-only property before it is placed in folder C:\...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID nr}\

And this is the case no matter how this project is build..

any suggestions ??

RichAquino
11-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Hi,

Are you only noticing this when installing from a CD? I'm asking because I remember copying a file from a CD (in windows explorer, not during an install), and it ended up on the system with a read-only bit.

Rich

hgaard
11-10-2003, 03:29 AM
Hi

No I afraid it's independent of media. Or it seems that way, anyway. I have tried from several different medias and made different kinds of builds, and with the same result.

/hgaard

RichAquino
11-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi,

Does this happen with any skinned installation you create? I'm asking because I'm sure we would have heard of this issue if it was a generic problem.

Rich

hgaard
11-12-2003, 02:49 AM
Hi,
No I have only experienced it with this particular project, so I’m quite sure it's not a generic problem, but does confuse me a bit though...

thanx..

Jakob

RichAquino
11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi Jakob,

If possible, could you put the release on the web somewhere so I could take a look at it? It may help if you included your setup.rul.

Feel free to email the link to me (see my profile).

Rich

hgaard
11-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Hi again

I did some more investigation into the problem, and i realized that the problem only occures when I'm building the setup, using the standalone build.

Hope this might help..

/Jakob

RichAquino
11-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi Jakob,

I created WO 1-H8B0P for this.

For now, just clear the read-only bit on the .skin files that are installed with the standalone build.

Rich

banana
12-21-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm now having this same problem when building using the standalone IS compiler.

Has anybody found a solution to this other than manually setting the attribute in script?

banana
12-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Never mind... found the solution here: http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q110590