PDA

View Full Version : Read-Only Network Folder and INSTALLDIR

nuclearunderpan
10-30-2003, 01:55 PM
I have a workstation setup that is run from a network folder.

I want to restrict users ability to write to the network folder, so I set the rights to Read-Only.

The problem is this---when I restrict user access to read-only, I can't change INSTALLDIR in script.

Do users have to have write access to install? This seems odd since a CD is unwritable media.

Please help

dgbach
10-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Maybe you need to also give "execute" rights ... and maybe "list folder contents".

-db

nuclearunderpan
11-03-2003, 10:38 AM
I gave execute and list folder contents, that seems to work to a point---a secondary problem comes up:

I use variables to set the install target of some components. When installing from a UNC path I get part of the path untranslated.

The path looks like this [INSTALLDIR][KeyName].

Normally KeyName gets substituted correctly, when going from UNC only INSTALLDIR gets substituted and I get error accessing network path.

dgbach
11-03-2003, 11:31 AM
How does it get translated? Is this a standard project? Not sure exactly how or where you're setting the target dir, but perhaps you can combine INSTALLDIR and KeyName using sprintf. If KeyName is a PathVariable used with dynamic file linking then the syntax is <KeyPath>. If it's a string table entry, syntax is @KeyName. I considered how to use a string variable in a component's destination path in the components dialog and I don't see how to do that. Interesting, please let me know what you find out.

-db

nuclearunderpan
11-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Forget the invalid path stuff. I had a path I knew would be invalid that I was setting, but then commented out the real path setting.

The original problem is the real problem. When directories are locked down to Read and Execute, I cannot change the value of INSTALLDIR in script.

I use INSTALLDIR to hold the path to the network application's content files, so it will get set to something like \\computer-name\foldername or G:\foldername.

I use this path to set a registry entry and for command-line arguments for shortcuts.

I did a work around by creating a new directory, FORMS, and using SetFeatureTarget to set the path of the new directory. I then substituted the new directory name [FORMS] for INSTALLDIR in the IDE.

I still don't understand why I can't change the value of INSTALLDIR when the directory security is locked down. I can write to other variables like SRCDIR.