PDA

View Full Version : Verbose logging in MSDE object ...

BCastleman
10-30-2003, 09:45 AM
I followed the instructions in the KB article for setting up the MSDE for NT object and it works fine for the most part. But for one of the machines we tested it on, the MSDE portion fails and it rolls back the entire installation.

How can I turn on the verbose logging so I can track down problem? The call that launches the MSDE install is MsiDoAction(ISMSI_HANDLE,"InstallMSDE.DEAEC3E7_8F5C_4115_ABD3_E5742E47D469") and I don't see how to force it to log anything.

Chandima
10-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Look in the root C:\ drive. There shoudl be a file named MSDE2kLog.txt. This is the log of the MSDE install. This file is always generated when MSDE is installed via the object.

BCastleman
10-31-2003, 11:27 AM
OK. Found the log, but have very little to go on. In truth, I have no clue where to look. It looks like everything goes just fine up until it tries to configure the server.

Towards the end of the MSDE2KLog is the line:

Executing "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -V 1 -M 1 -U sa -I "TRAKAID_MSDE" -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS""

Which seems to generate calls to the server and the cnfgsvr.out file (attached).

A SQL Server error log is also generate.

The problem is that this isn't a consistent problem. The installer worked fine on several machines, but failed on another. The machine it failed on is 'dirty', i.e. it has been in use for some time so it has had software installed, unistalled, moved around etc. Since this is more typical than a controlled development environment, I suspect we will run into the problem regularly unless I can solve it.

Logs are attached, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Chandima
10-31-2003, 12:11 PM
I think I have run in to this problem as well. It usually happens on "dirty" machines. If I am not mistaken it's because when your previous setup (and the MSDE instance) is uninstalled, it leaves behind the database files (master.mdf, mastlog.ldf, model.mdf, modellog.ldf, msdbdata.mdf and msdblog.ldf). I had a few customers mention this and then I found the cause on www.installsite.org. Deleting these files (and the folder they are in) before starting the MSDE setup apparently fixes the problem.

BCastleman
10-31-2003, 05:07 PM
I'll check for this, but I'm pretty sure that is is not the issue. The target machine failed on the very first attempt, so the LDFs and MDFs should not have been there.

Chandima
10-31-2003, 05:59 PM
Is MSDE 1.0 installed on this machine? The fact that it works all machines except this one means there is something goofy with this particular one.

When this error message pops up (without closing it) copy and paste "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -V 1 -M 1 -U sa -I "TRAKAID_MSDE" -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS"" in the Run command (or in DOS) and execute it. This might sometimes retrun a more meaningful message.