PDA

View Full Version : New to this -- HELP PLEASE

lhauser63
10-29-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm trying to do two simple things (or so I thought)

1) If 98 install 98.dll if not install nt.dll

2) Figure out how to translate a driver (.sys) file and its .inf file to something install shield can install

HELPPPPP

LewisQ
10-29-2003, 01:49 PM
1) Place them in two separate components and use a condition to make them OS dependent

2) look at installsite.org. there is code to install a INF file there.

Hope it helps,

RichAquino
10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Hi,

1. Regardless of the project type, you'll want to have one component for the 98 file, and one for the NT file.

If this is an MSI based installation, use the Condition property of a component. You'll want to set it to something like Version9X = 410 (see the holp on the Version9X property) on the 98 component, and Version9X <> 410 on the NT component.

If this is an InstallScript (non-MSI) installation, you only need to set the Operating Systems property of each component.

2. Currently, InstallShield doesn't have native support for installing device drivers. Others in the community may be able to give suggestions on how to install them.

Rich

lhauser63
10-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks, I finally did figure out how to put in components and attach files to them

As for the drivers, Rich, what does "there is no native support" for drivers? mean

As for installsite.org, I went looking and found nothing on .inf files and drivers, can you tell me where I would find it?

Drivers are a pretty common thing. There must be a relatively simple way to do it

RichAquino
10-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi,

InstallShield has native support for things like installing shortcuts, registry entries, files, and so forth. You can configure all of these things in the IDE or via script. However, we do not have anything in the IDE or script specific to installing device drivers.

My guess is that there's some sort of command line that will allow device drivers to be installed. Assuming that's the case, you could use LaunchAppAndWait to do this.

Rich

LewisQ
10-29-2003, 02:24 PM
In InstallSite.org go to

InstallScript Samples->External Program and Shell and scroll down until you see: Install a Windows INF File

lhauser63
10-29-2003, 06:13 PM
I checked the installsite.org and it specifically says it does not support drivers. Any other ideas????