PDA

View Full Version : Garbled lines on "Setup Status" screen

Jon Williams
10-29-2003, 11:17 AM
We migrated three install projects from InstallShield Professional 6.3 into DevStudio. They all execute correctly as far as the actual install is concerned, but the "SetupStatus" screen shows garbled lines once the installation process begins. It looks as if the text line is not cleared out before the next text string is written, thus the display begijns to accumulate all of the pixel data from every string that was written out. It is as though someone used a typewriter and typed an entire letter on only one line without performing a carriage return. I am using a Toshiba Tecra 8200 which I have had for 2 years with no problems of any kind, including display. The lines involved include:
1. line just above the progress bar
2. value shown on the line "Estimated time left"
3. value shown on the line "Transfer Rate"
4. the line showing the installation folder at the top of the screen.

We are using Windows 2000 images.

RichAquino
10-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering if this is an issue with migrated setups. If you create a very simple skinned setup that installs a few files, do you see the same behavior?

Rich

Jon Williams
10-29-2003, 02:17 PM
When we build the setup using the "Release Wizard" and the
"User Interface" screen, if we select "Use Project's Default"
the problem does NOT occur.
If we select "Use Skin Specified Below" and select any skin, the
problem occurs.

RichAquino
10-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Hi Jon,

Based on what you've said, that's expected. But that still doesn't clarify whether it's a problem with non-migrated projects. Did you try the test I suggested?

Rich

Jon Williams
10-29-2003, 03:01 PM
We did not build a project in DevStudio 9 as yet; we were just
hoping to migrate up. However, we will set up a small one and see what happens.

Jon Williams
10-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Yesterday, I received a reply from the InstallShield development
team:

Our development team is currently aware of this issue and has given the issue bug work order #1-ESCZ6. The workaround for this problem is to not use a skin file or if you have SdShowInfoList inside of your script to replace it with another IS dialog.

RichAquino
10-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi Jon,

Does it seem like the problem is that SdShowInfoList is being launched within OnMoving? i.e. If you call SdShowInfoList in the OnFirstUIBefore event handler, do you see the same problem?

Rich

Shark75
03-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Did you ever get a fix for this as I'm always getting this problem with garbled text?

It seems to happen if you call wizard dialogs during the file copy to get more information during the setup process as certain components get installed. In some instances using Disable(DIALOGCACHE) worked but we've just had a bug report again about this garbled text.

I'm using IS12 Pro.