PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut uninstall problem

rwinkler
10-29-2003, 09:51 AM
I have several releases in my project. Some of them using the same components. I install now two releases in parallel on one system each with a shortcut in the startmenu to the same component (same GUID). Looks like:

Start
->product A
-->shortcut component X
-->shortcut component Y

->product B
-->shortcut component X
-->shortcut component Z

If I remove e.g. product A the shortcut to product A remains after uninstallation due to shortcut to component X (component is not shared or permantent). After product A is removed the uninstallation of product B is ok. Still the shortcut of product A is pointing to nowhere.

Is there any change to overcome this problem? How to enforce removing shortcuts?

Thanks
Roland

kk sonu
10-30-2003, 01:37 AM
what exactly u want to do?

can u clarify the requirement...

rwinkler
10-30-2003, 01:57 AM
The problem: after uninstalling shortcuts are remaining in the start menu.

cause: The reason for this behaviour is, I think, that more than one shortcut is linked to a specific component. A similar problem is descripted in http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?threadid=115195&highlight=start+menu+shortcut
My problem is that several releases with the same version are installed on one system. These releases are installing some common features, which are used for more products. These common features/components have shortcuts and these shortcuts are remaining after a uninstallation if another release is still installed.

requested behaviour: I want to have more releases of my product on the target machine and if one of these products is removed all shortcuts related to this product should be removed from the startmenu.

Thanks for your help
Roland

TsungH
10-30-2003, 12:03 PM
If I understand your requirements correctly, you should use RemoveFile table.

rwinkler
11-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Unfortunetly I couldn't make it with the RemoveFile table which would be the best solution in this case. Maybe you can give me an example how to remove a shortcut with the RemoveFile table.

To overcome this problem I delete the shortcuts with DeleteFolderIcon and DeleteDir in my script if something is remaining, which isn't very nice but it's doing the job for now

Thanks for your help
Roland