PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to group features?

hsong1
10-27-2003, 07:51 PM
hello everyone

in my installation setup, i have 5 features. but 2 of them are inseparable.
(but i can not associate them as parent and child)
so I wrote a script and use CA to automatically change the feature's state if other one is selected.

but here, i could not find the method to put CA on feature (feature node in custom action). so i put it on the "Next" button. - but here, use can not see the change of feature state, unless he goes back to previous dialog.

so my boss wants the instant result. but i am not sure even this is possible.
i am using installshield 7.0 sp4. is there a way to group features? so if user selects one feature then the other features in that group changes automatically??

thank you,

dgbach
10-28-2003, 02:33 PM
In Organize Your Setup -> Features, if you select a feature one of the fields is Required Features which I think does what you are looking for.

-db

hsong1
10-29-2003, 12:13 PM
thank you for the replay.

however, if i set this required feature to "yes", then the user can not deselect at all.

i want the user to have choice and yet, if one of the feature is selected then the second feature (which has to go with the first one) is selected as well.

should i make another script and CA for this??

dgbach
10-29-2003, 12:27 PM
That is true for the "Required" field, but on the same panel is a field "Required Features" which brings up a dialog and lets you select which additional features will be selected when this one is.

Also, if you have a Standard project (all of mine are) then at runtime there are many feature functions. But for what you are doing, you shouldn't need them, just use "Required Features" and leave "Required" set to No.

-db

hsong1
10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
I can not find the dialog that asks me to select additional features. where can i find this "Required Features" ??

thank you,

lsmeteor
10-31-2003, 01:46 PM
You'll find it in the Features view. There is an entry called 'Required Features' where you can associates features that must be selected in order for the current one to also be installed.

hsong1
11-03-2003, 09:23 AM
it looks like this option is limited for a standard project.
is there a way to use this "required feature" in basic msi project?

thank you