PDA

View Full Version : Error during remove action in major upgrade setup

sLehmann
10-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Hello,

we use major upgrade setup (standard project) to provide our product. On one single customer PC there are a lot of problems with our setup, but the latest i cannot resolve.

While the setup is removing the older program version, an error occurs: an older version of the program couldn't be uninstalled. After accepting the error message with "OK", the setup will jump to the finish-with-error dialog and the setup isn't completed.

I suggest there are any information about previous program versions left in the registry or elsewhere on the customer's PC. But neither in the Windows' software dialog nor in the registry any accordant item was found.

The setup works perfectly on any other computer!

If anybody could give me a hint where to search, or how to fix, this will greatly appreciated!

Regards,

alatten
10-27-2003, 10:45 AM
We also encounter this error-message quite often at customer machines. Normally, the reason is the loss of the cached .msi-file from HD. Then you can only uninstall by running setup.exe from the CD of your old version (we must quite often re-ship these old CDs because of this problem...)
But if there's no more entry in SoftwareApplet of ControlPanel, then I fear you must clean the registry manually (it's fun to do it on the phone with non-experts on the other side!)
Start your current setup in verbose mode and ask your customer to mail the log-file. In this file you should find somewhere the GUID of the old version which is still in the system. If you only have one possible old GUID it's one step easier... ;) Then you must ask your customer to search and delete all occurences of this GUID (normal and compressed) from the Registry. There can also be some dirs with the GUID in the name on HD somewhere in WinDir\installer or in the user profile.

Good luck,
Andrees

P.S. explaining your customer how to create a Backup of his Registry can make you feel better... :)
P.P.S. If anybody knows an easier way, please post it!
P.P.P.S: Don't propose msicu(u).exe. My experience is that this tool doesn't find corrupted installations at all... -- Not to talk about removing them...

sLehmann
10-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Okay, i did it like Andrees wrote. The customer mailed me the log file, and i searched for the old product GUID. I found them in the OLDPRODUCTS (nearly the end of the log) and in the log of the FindRelatedProducts property.

I told the customer to delete all appearences of this GUID in the registry and in Windows\installer folder, but it seems that it doesn't work. The FindRelatedProducts action still finds the old GUID somewhere on the PC.

The RemoveExistingProducts action tried to remove the older version, but cannot finish - it stops with error 1714 (system error: 1610). Maybe anybody can tell me something about this error, because i didn't found anything about this error in the InstallShield help.

So if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Regards,

sLehmann
10-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by alatten
Then you must ask your customer to search and delete all occurences of this GUID (normal and compressed) from the Registry.

What does normal and compressed GUIDs mean? I just know the ones which are in hexadecimal format, e.g.
{012345678-9ABC-DEFG-0123-456789ABCDEF}

Where is the difference?

Regards,

Peerke
10-28-2003, 10:22 AM
The above is the compressed GUID. There are some swapped numbers.

alatten
10-29-2003, 02:54 AM
There's a KB article (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q105971) about the relation between the two formats. Don't ask me about the reason for using the GUID in two different ways in the registry... :confused:

Andrees

sLehmann
10-29-2003, 04:18 AM
Thank you Andrees and Peerke,

with your information i was able to solve the problem. The customer just wrote me, that the setup works fine now.

Thanks a lot & regards,