PDA

View Full Version : LaunchAppAndWait doesnt work for Developer 7.03

tahervohra
10-25-2003, 11:41 PM
Hi people,
Im trying to install a device driver. I create a temp folder on the target system (c:\target) and copy the .sys file, the .inf file and a utitlity (install.exe) which installs the driver by calling setup APIs.

I use LaunchAppAndWait in the Installed function, and it used to work in Professional 6.3

But when I migrated the project to Developer 7.03, I am getting Access Denied in the Setup API functions inside install.exe.

My install.exe utility is a stable one, and I have shipped several releases earlier with setups created from Pro 6.3

Seems like a security problem, how do I fix it ?

Any comments suggestions etc are welcome.

Regards
-Taher

philiph
10-27-2003, 10:56 AM
I use ISDev7.04 and have no problems with LaunchAppAndWait(), maybe this is a 7.03 bug. Unfortunatley, InstallShield themselves told me

"InstallShield Developer 7.04 is more of a downgrade than an upgrade."

TsungH
10-27-2003, 02:53 PM
Taher, when you run the install.exe manually, does it execute successfully?

Philip, I highly doubt it would actually come from us. When you quote someone from InstallShield, can you provide the name of the person whom you are quoting?
InstallShield Developer 7.04 is more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

philiph
10-27-2003, 03:30 PM
tahervohra, also check the path to make sure that you are actually executing the correct file/path. I helped someone else with this issue and when they debugged they found that the path to the file they were trying to execute was wrong. Check spelling as this can be hard to see if you are executing a long path like: "C:\Program Files\MyApplication\Temp Files\My.exe" maybe there is amissing space or somethin gelse like that. Again, just a suggestion.

TSungH, I assure you that an InstallShield support engineer is who told me that, in those exact words. I wouldn't want to get someone fired for saying something like that so I will not post who said this to me (and my boss). The reason for me posting the statement is that tahervohra may not want to get 7.04 as it could cause more problems than fix, as inferred by the quote, a downgrade.

tahervohra
10-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies.

FYI, I have already checked the following,
1. The same command works correctly when I execute it manually from a DOS box.
2. Checked the strings passed to LaunchAppAndWait in the debugger, and by using MessageBox, nothing there.

The fact is that, install.exe runs, that is it starts execution, but one of its API calls fail, and it happens only when install.exe is spawned from InstallScript.

As a workaround, I dumped the command line in a batch file, made sure that the batch file is installed, and used LaunchAppAndWait using the "cmd /c install.bat" string. This works beautifully, but is not the kind of a nice solution.

As another note, I downloaded and added _LaunchAppEx to my project from installsite, that worked a couple of times, but does not succeed all the time. Dunno what I am doing differently to cause it fail though.

BTW is 7.04 available for download, I have a site license ?? I will check.

Thanks
-tahervohra

tahervohra
10-27-2003, 11:34 PM
Just confirming, InstallShield Developer version 7.04 is same as InstallShield Developer 7 with Maintenance release (service pack) 4.
Am I correct here ??

Thanks
-tahervohra

philiph
10-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Correct.