PDA

View Full Version : Installing Shared Files - HOW TO

asn2379
10-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Hi,
I am new to Installation coding. I've a problem in installing shared files.

This is how our product installation works.
Every time the user tries to install it, it will first check if previous versions are already installed on it. If so,it would ask it to uninstall it (either through Add/Remove) or they can choose to launch the uninstall from this current install itself. Only when the previous version is uninstalled, the current installation continues.

The important point here is our product doesn't require a reboot after the uninstall or the install.(Reboot is only required if its installed on a machine where the DAO or system ocxs our product uses were not present)

Now we are developing a small application which will be used by my product and another product in our group. Both has to install it so that their product and my product can interact.

The new product that is being developed is a very simple one.In fact its a console application.

After much discussion, we decided to install it as a shared one,so the version control can be done and the amount of time needed to do this will be minimal.

But if I install the product for the first time,it works fine. If I run my setup again,the uninstall first uninstalls the shared file,(since the count reaches 0),but the install no longer installs it again. I figured out since its a shared file, I needed to do a reboot.
This is not an acceptable one in my case.

I removed the Shared attribute to the component,but I tried installing it to the Windows System directory. Still the same problem happens during the second install.

Can some one help me how to fix this problem. I just want to install the file to the Windows System directory remove it each time the uninstall runs, and install it again by the current install without a reboot.

The reason we are tyring to put the new component in Windows System, directory is,so that users don't have to worry about where it is installed, and they can simply go to the console and run it from any dos prompt.

Please help me out as I am really new to installation coding and I have to come out with a solution for this problem.

Thanks In Advance
Arun.