PDA

View Full Version : how to copy files to system 32 dir without trouble

hsong1
10-23-2003, 09:01 AM
hello everyone

i am trying to copy these set of files to windows' system32 folder.
however, it does not let me overwrite existing files. how do i force this to overwrite without any warning messages?

thank you,

oliverb
10-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Whenever possible you should try to use the Merge Modules to install your supporting files. This will insure that the files are properly replaced and copied to the right locations.

Also, look at the corelist.txt (attached to this message). As a general rule, I try to avoid shipping these files, in order to avoid this type of problems. Chances are that the files on this list will already be on the machine and need not to be replaced (at least by your application).

Finally, try to use a separate component for each file you want to replace, ensuring that the registration process is done. Keep in mind that a lot of these dll/ocx files may be locked while your installation is running, therefore you will need to set the 'shared' flag for each.

This is, in general, what I would look for. Hope it helps.

hsong1
10-27-2003, 07:25 PM
thank you very much!!!

philiph
10-28-2003, 04:10 PM
I am in the middle of a Merge Module Upgrade problem which looks like cannot be solved. Although I am using a 3rd party Merge Module (the BDE Merge Module) and you will be creating your own, I personally would not go with the merge module solution. One of my installations only installs files like .dll and .exe, files that the user cannot modify. This allowed me to use the "a" switch (REINSTALLMODE=avoums) in my upgrade. The "a" switch forces the overwrite of *all* files installed. This can be non-desirous in some occasions but may help you. Also check the help file for REINSTALLMODE and you will find several other switches that may help if this one doesn't.

Hope this helps.