PDA

View Full Version : Error 1628 with "Run As" under Win XP

Barakl
10-23-2003, 04:09 AM
I evaluate the Dev Studio 9.
When running the setup with "Run AS.." under WinXP Pro, I get the 1628 error.
I got this issue in IS7, It does not happens in IS8 SP2 but it
re-occur in this version.

Can anyone help?

JonArme
10-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Are you using an InstallScript or an InstallScript MSI setup project?

Are you using the /runas command line param for setup.exe?

JonArme
10-24-2003, 01:17 PM
This should not happen with InstallScript MSI setups if the /runas command line parameter to setup.exe is used. I have verfied this in DevStudio 9.

The fix made in Dev8 SP2 was to add this param to InstallShield's setup.exe so that it will handle being run from the RunAs service.

The easiest way to test this is to create a shortcut to setup.exe that executes: "Setup.exe /runas". Launching the shortcut on XP from a non-admin account will bring up the RunAs dialog. Enter the user info into RunAs and the setup should execute without error.

Barakl
10-26-2003, 02:15 AM
HI Jonathan,
Thanks for you quick reply.
I Use InstallScript project and I launch it through "Shift + right click" on the setup.

I still gets the 1628 error.

I build a new InstallScript MSI project and I still gets the 1628 error.

* My install contains MDAC 2.7 merge module and the installation fails to register ubder HKLM (Uninstall key etc...)

Thanks
Barak

JonArme
10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
For InstallScript MSI projects, you need to pass the '/runas' parameter to setup.exe. Just running setup through the RunAs service (from the RC menu, or using the Windows RunAs exe) will result in the 1628 error. This is an unfortunate limitation, but for now it is the only way to run an InstallScript MSI setup through the RunAs service.

Setup.exe should automatically handle the RunAs situation without requiring the user to pass a parameter, and this is something that is being researched by our development team. For reference, this issue has been assigned WO 1-CS44D.

Barakl
10-28-2003, 01:17 AM
HI Jonathan,
Thanks again for you quick reply.
You wrote:
"For InstallScript MSI projects, you need to pass the '/runas' parameter to setup.exe"

Did you mean to run the setup in the following way:
runas /user:ComputerName\<administrator user> "<setup to run>"

or you meant to run the setup in another way?

The way I wrote fails with the 1628 error too.

I hope this issue will be solved soon (please note that this issue was in IS Developer 7xx and fixed in IS Developer 8 SP2).

Thanks again
Barak

JonArme
10-28-2003, 10:47 AM
The fix in Developer 8 for this issue was the following:
A new parameter to be used with InstallShield's setup.exe was created. This parameter is /runas.

So, in your example command line, you would have to run:

runas /user:Computername\<admin user> "<setup.exe for installation> /runas "

This /runas parameter to setup.exe will fix the 1628 issue.
As I said before, IS is working on a way for our setup.exe to automatically detect that it is being run from the RunAs service, so passing the parameter won't be necessary in the future.

For now, you will have to pass "/runas" to setup.exe to get this to work. This was how it worked in Dev8 and how it works now in DevStudio 9.

Barakl
10-29-2003, 04:17 AM
Hi,
The /Runas at the end, works.

Is Installshield going to remove the /runas requirement at the end when a Dev9 SP will be released?

Thanks again.
Barak

JonArme
10-29-2003, 12:17 PM
The first SP for DevStudio 9 will not address this.
It will still require that the /runas parameter be used.

Our development team is looking at this issue and hopefully, it will be addressed in the next major release.