PDA

View Full Version : Error occured while launching the setup. Remote procedure call failed

sandeep
10-22-2003, 01:20 PM
Hi,

I have the following problem with an InstallShield 6.31 project.

After the files have been copied over the following error message pops up within Windows NT 4.0 6a/ 2000 SP3/ 2003 environment:

"Error occured while launching the setup. The Remote procedure call failed".

The same happens during uninstall.

The temp directory does not get removed after install/uninstall fails.

I had all the latest IS6.31 files, but just for the sake of making sure that iKernel is not corrupt, I have followed the steps described in the KB article number Q105097 ...

If I add delay in the code then this error is intermittent.

Has anybody seen this happen ? Can anybody help please?

Thanks,
Sandeep

dhesog
10-29-2003, 10:39 AM
This problem seems to be because of a failure of DLL function call. I would suggest you to login as administrator and then run the setup again. Try removing the DLL from the project (commenting out any DLL calls) and then run the setup again.

Also, check if you are installing any system specific files or is installing to the system directory. Also see if you have marked any files for self-registration. If yes, then check all the dependent file for the self -registering files are already registered.

Please visit the following KB article for more information on debugging a dll function called from setup :

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q105089

Hope this helps!

sandeep
10-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Hi dhesog,

The hints that you provided were extermely helpful.

The problem was that one of the self-registering dll was not getting registered ( we have around 38 self-reg files) and hence the error during install and uninstall. I deleted this file from the project and tested the install.

What bothers me is that if I register\unregister the same file from commandline, I do not see any error.

I have to register this file otherwise the product won't work. Is their a workaround you would recommend ?

Thanks
Sandeep