PDA

View Full Version : Install problems on Win98

Buiaca
10-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Hello all,

We need to make an upgrade package, to upgrade our ABC application from version 1.0 to version 2.0. The plan would be to check whether ABC 1.0 is installed, uninstall it, then install ABC 2.0. Since ABC 1.0 is installed in the Program Files\ABC 1.0 folder I can't simply call ComponentReinstall(), because I want the new product to go in the Program Files\ABC 2.0 folder. I've tried switching the TARGETDIR on the fly, as in the following code:

---- in OnMaintUIBefore

// first remove ABC 1.0
ComponentRemoveAll();
ComponentTransferData(MEDIA);

TARGETDIR = "C:\\Program Files\\ABC 2.0";
SHELL_OBJECT_FOLDER = "\\ABC 2.0";

// now install ABC 2.0 into the new folder
ComponentSelectItem( MEDIA, "Program Files" , TRUE );
ComponentSelectItem( MEDIA, "Disk<1>", TRUE);

SetStatusWindow(0, "");
Enable(STATUSEX);
StatusUpdate(ON, 100);

ComponentTransferData(MEDIA);

This works fine under Windows XP and 2000, but under Windows 98 it aborts right after uninstalling ABC 1.0... no files are copied and no error messages appear.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE:
I've been messing around with the script and suddenly InstallShield displays a Component Transfer Error message box just before it gives up (there were no error messages before, as I've mentioned). The message box says "Component: Program Files Group: ActiveX Installer File: Error: The system cannot find the path specified"
So the question would be now: under what circumstances can the above message box appear? Please help, I'm not only new to InstallShield but under a very tight deadline as well :)