PDA

View Full Version : Single to multi-instance?

dbriggs
10-21-2003, 06:20 AM
I have created a single-instance, multi-language, InstallScript Setup in DS9.

Some users have asked for the ability to make multiple installations on the same machine. They say this is to allow them to install software/support for different languages, such as where more than one user shares the same system but uses a different language.

Is there a way for users to run my single-instance Setup as if it was multi-instance, or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks,

David

Mark at IS
10-21-2003, 07:49 AM
The multi-instance option was not designed to be selectable at run time. You could tell them to run Setup.exe with the -ig command line option (as described in the Help Library's Index entry "Setup.exe, command-line parameters")---but this could result in trouble if they specified an invalid or already-used GUID.

dbriggs
10-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks for that suggestion. I could generate some extra GUIDs for this purpose but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

I had seen -ig, but there is also some default code to avoid the install directories of previous instances. I migrated my Setup project from IS5.5 through 7 Pro. I don't know whether I will have that code or not. I suspect not as it's in OnFirstUIBefore and I'm sure I would have seen it!

David