PDA

View Full Version : MSDE reboot supresses OnFirstUIAfter

BCastleman
10-18-2003, 11:35 AM
If the InstallShield MSDE object forces a reboot on the target computer, then OnFirstUIAfter is never called. I could suppress the reboot using the option in the object settings, but since I don't really know WHY it wants to reboot, then this makes me nervous. But I need to do some configuration of my application AFTER MSDE is installed.

Any recommendations?

scoteb
10-22-2003, 06:58 PM
I have the same issues.

It appears to me for some reason the MSDE 2000 install does not register all its files until after the reboot. So the reboot is required to get all the MSDE COM objects registered. Also, it adds a directory path to the system environment path variable.

If part of your configuration requires some of these COM objects then you will have to configure after a reboot. If your configuration does not rely on these COM objects you may not need to reboot. If you want to use the 'osql.exe' command, like I did, you have to call the full path to it for it to work.

BCastleman
10-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the tip on OSQL. Has been working without my supplying the full path, but I'll bet it's because of previous installations of MSDE.