PDA

View Full Version : setup.exe errors on users' computer

AlexLee
10-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Dear All,

Here's a worrying one - users can't run freshly built installer!

I have been having reports from a few users that the DevStudio9 installer I have made is failing for them. The only thing I can resort to is giving them an installer built with ISPro6.1 which works with no problems whatsoever.

This has been reported several times:

Error Code: -5005 : 0x80070002
Error Information:
>Kernel\KernelMedia.cpp (87)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1641)
pAPP:Webstyle
PVENDOR:Xara
PGUID:5579FF53-D793-4681-8C41-45B33FCD997E
$9.0.0.333
@Windows XP Service Pack 1 (2600) IE 6.0.2800.1106

One of these users also reported seeing another error:

Error Signature
AppName: setup.exe
AppVer: 9.0.0.333
ModName: setup.dll
ModVer: 9.0.0.333
Offset: 0001a3d9

The Knowledge Base article “ERRDOC: Run-time Error –5005” at http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q107326 is NOT helpful - there are no sub-installers in the same directory.

One users's comment:

It says Starting Installshield Wizard" and "Preparing Setup" when it jumps to an error message that reads:
Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. (The classic MS report error message).

I have created a blank installer, which you can download from http://downloads.xara.com/downloads/software/BlankInstaller.exe. One of the users who experienced the problem ran this and got the same errors.

So the errors aren't specific to the project I am building.

I have had another couple of users report that during the install, they are prompted to "insert the next disk" - at the beginning of the file copy process, the installer copies itself somewhere, and the error occurs when the layout.bin file is being copied. I asked one of these users to run the BlankInstaller, and she reported that it gave an error message exactly as reported higher up.

Can anyone help, please?!

Thanks,
Alex

DevinEllingson
10-18-2003, 03:25 AM
AlexLee,

The line in question that is failing is the line that opens the data1.hdr of the setup and reads it, this occurs for any setup so most likely the problem is not specific to your setup but to the machines in question.

So to debug further we need to figure out why the data1.hdr file cannot be loaded. Most likely this is a path related problem (though this is just a guess), did the users try running the installer from different locations or copying locally, or running the install from a different physical drive.

The easiest way to debug further is to create a trace file for the setup on the system that is failing and Email the trace file to me (devin@installshield.com) so that I can decrypt it and hopefully get some additional information about exactly why the failure is occuring.

The setup will automatically create a trace file on the desktop if you create an "ISlogit" key under HKCU. The file will have the name SetupXXX.bin. Please email me this file from a system in which the failure occurs.

Devin Ellingson
InstallShield Software Corporation

AlexLee
10-20-2003, 04:47 AM
Thanks, Devin.

I have emailed one of our users who is being helpful in this matter, so hopefully I'll be able to get the .bin file to you soon and find out what's happening!

Thanks,
Alex

AlexLee
10-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Devin,

I've emailed you a setuptracexxc.bin file... hopefully we can find out what's going wrong!

Is it likely to need a fix to DevStudio or can something be done on the client's computer? -- I need to burn a CD very soon!

Thanks,
Alex

tw0001
10-22-2003, 10:44 AM
There is also an error list for Professional 7 that I've maintained up until now for these types of errors at:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115305

Most if not all of the above errors listed would be applicable for DevStudio 9 InstallScript non-msi projects.

I'm hesitant to start up a DevStudio 9 version of the the above list - is it something that would be interesting to people? One of the benefits of a new list is that it would get more attention since it's in a current version.

Ted.

AlexLee
11-11-2003, 04:20 AM
Hi Everbody

I thought you make like to know the outcome of this particular thread...

The problem was that I was using Package For The Web to build a single-file-exe download for web delivery. When I changed to using the Single-File-Exe technology built into DevStudio, all was solved. I have not had any more users complaining that the installation crashes.

Thanks Devin for your help in this matter.

Alex

RobCoon
11-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Alex.

I'm glad you got things working. I'm curious to know if there was any reason you were using PackageForTheWeb instead of the self-extracting technology in DevStudio. Are there any features from PFTW that you felt were missing in DevStudio?

AlexLee
11-12-2003, 03:36 AM
Hi Rob

The main reason was that I had upgraded a project from InstallShield Pro 6.1 and was unaware of the single-file technology within DevStudio9. I kept using PFTW because that's what we had done - I didn't really know any better. When I did find out about the DS9 single-file-exe, I wasn't sure what benefits it gave me over PFTW.

For the record, I now see these benefits:
1. DS9 has an all-in-one solution: no need to build the installer and then package into one file
2. DS9's single-file-exe does not have the "unpack" stage, meaning that the installation is a bit quicker

PFTW is still useful in other situations - e.g. releasing a set of files that can simply be unpacked into a particular location on the user's machine. I have never used the dialog or password protection parts of PFTW.

Alex

verizoniobi
03-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Rob.. I have the same problem. I tried using single exe from DS9.0 it seem to be good but I see the setup file is incresed by 0.4 MB. with PFTW it is 5.8 MB but with DS9.0 single exe it is 6.2MB. This is the way it is or am I packaging wrong.. quick response is greatly appreciated.

-Ravi

RobCoon
03-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi.

I doubt you are doing anything wrong. In most cases, the self-extracting exe's from DevStudio 9 should be similar in size to PFTW packages, but there will be some cases where they are a little larger.

PFTW tries to compress the disk images, while DevStudio 9 does not. This decision was made because most of the files on disk images are usually already compressed, and not bothering with the usually ineffective re-compression is one of the reasons why the DevStudio 9 exes offer such better performance. But when you have a lot of uncompressed files on your media, or in the rare cases where extra compression can squeeze a little more out of the already compressed files, PFTW will create slightly smaller packages than DevStudio 9.