PDA

View Full Version : Releases share the same install status?

jarjarv
10-17-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi!

If I build various releases from the same project, they all share the same install and uninstall status.

For example if I have already installed Release 1 and try to install Release 2, it thinks that it is already installed and I get the modify and uninstall options.

How do I get unique install status for each release of the same project?

buntonn
10-17-2003, 08:21 AM
Under the General Information / Product Properties page is the Product GUID the same for both the products?

jarjarv
10-17-2003, 08:26 AM
It's the same project, just a different Release, so the GUID is the same.

InstallShield Help says that the GUID is read-only, so I can't change it from the script.

Do I have to change the GUID by hand for each release and keep track of the different GUIDS with notepad or such? :eek:

jarjarv
10-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Each of the Releases of the Project use an unique Feature, and features have unique GUIDs. So in a way each Release is connected to an unique GUID.

Is there a way to make the install and uinstall use Feature GUID instead of Project GUID?

Stefan Krueger
10-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Create separate Product Configurations for your releases (i.e. separate folders in release view). Now you can assign different ProductCodes (and product names etc).

jarjarv
10-17-2003, 09:53 AM
As far as I can see, you can do that only in MSI projects :(

Stefan Krueger
10-17-2003, 09:58 AM
sorry, didn't pay attention to the forum I'm in. Sorry for the confusion.

What you can do is under Project Properties set Maintenance Experience to Multi-Instance.

jarjarv
10-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Hmm, when running an install made with that solution, I get a dialog that says that a previous version of the install was found on the system and something about updating or replacing versions of the application...

Thanks for the help anyway!

I'm off to spend the weekend :cool:

jarjarv
10-20-2003, 06:32 AM
OK, I'm back :)

Is there a way around this problem?

Is this conclusion correct: I should not use InstallScript projects if I wish to build releases that install as separate products?

It's not that it would be so much work to create separate projects for each "release" of the application, it's just that I want to be sure I haven't missed something. It would be so cool if I could build all the releases from the same project. Managing numerous, mostly identical, projects is such a hassle.