PDA

View Full Version : some fundamental questions

Neelesh Korade
10-17-2003, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone
I wanted to enable the log and also make the installer silent in my Basic MSI project. I had to do it in a separate C++ application which after setting the UI to silent and enabling the log, calls MsiInstallProduct with the .msi file to kick start the installation.
It raises following questions in my mind. Some are given here and some will be given in the next posting.

1) The code that makes my installer silent and also generates installation log is residing outside the .msi file. So does it mean that .msi in itself can not provide all the functionality required and I have to depend on some wrapper application like my c++ application which will provide that functionaluty and then start the installation?

2) I have used MsiEnableLog to enable the log, it generates a log file without any problem. But how can I write my custom log messages? WI help talks of Mege Object and COM Automation interface for using Log function. Isn't there any other way of logging custom log messages without going for Automation interface and all?

Thanks and regards
Neelesh

RobertDickau
10-17-2003, 12:28 PM
1. Correct: it seems MSI does not support initiating logging or changing the UI level from a running installation; as you've done, one needs to set these properties from an external program, such as a setup launcher.

2. Yes, it seems you'll need a custom action (either a C-callable DLL using MsiProcessMessage or a script custom action using Message) to write data to a log file.

Neelesh Korade
10-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks RobertDickau, you saved me of great trouble :)
Neelesh