PDA

View Full Version : Changing the default text in the "copying files" dialog

AlexLee
10-15-2003, 02:23 AM
When I run the installation I have created, all is well. The "copying files" dialog appears and says something like "ProgramName is configuring your new software installation".

When I perform an un-install and call the FeatureRemoveAll function, the same dialog is displayed as it goes through un-installing all the files, but the text is the same.

How can I change it to read something like "ProgramName is removing installed files" ??

Thanks,
Alex

ManojJain
03-23-2004, 07:34 AM
I am using InstallScript type of project. My installer runs in First install, Update and Uninstall mode. Now the Set up status i.e Copy dialog shows the default text "%P configuring your new software" in all three modes.

Can we somehow change this default text to display "%P removing your software" during Uninstall mode

and to "%P updating your existing software" during Update mode

AlexLee
05-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Can I please bring this to everyone's attention again.

Is there any way to change the default text in the "Copying Files" dialog so that during UNINSTALL it doesn't talk about your new installation...

Thanks,
Alex

stevepos
07-29-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm also getting this problem. Anyone know of a workaround?
ta

chmose
07-30-2004, 02:43 PM
I would also love some information on doing this in an installscript MSI project. It's rather daft that the uninstall default messages are all about setup configuring your new installation.

Shark75
07-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Did anyone ever get an answer on this as I just had a bug report in from our test team about this and I looked through the install and can't see anyone of changing the text.

We're using InstallShield X InstallScript Pro type setup.

vikasv
11-10-2005, 07:34 AM
I am facing the similar problem. I have searched for the string in the string table. I could not find it. I think the string is formed by Installshield itself by taking the product name. I do not know but which string to change and where to change.
Jathish

sumeetpk
02-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Me too facing the same problem ,since i want to show three messages for each ...install,uninstall and reinstall.
Can any one help us out.
rgds
sumeetpk

sumeetpk
02-17-2006, 05:50 AM
i have used win32 API setdlgtextitem(....) to have this functionality which changes the messages in STATUSEX dialog box.
I have used somthing like this

Enable(STATUSEX);
// Change the status dialog text because the default text says something like "Setup is
// configuring your new installation"...
hwndStatus = FindWindow ( "#32770" , IFX_SETUP_TITLE );
if ( hwndStatus != NULL ) then
bRet = SetDlgItemText( hwndStatus, 710, "Setup is now reinstalling the Freedom Security Suite on your computer." );
endif;
//StatusUpdate( ON, 100 );

U have to define prototype for SetDlgItemText(..........) so as to use this.

refer this too
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.phpt=148301&highlight=SetDlgItemText

rgds
sumeetpk

Shark75
08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
They finally added a function to do this in InstallShield 11...

SetStatusExStaticText(szString);

szString
The text to be set as the static text. The following standard strings are available using the SdLoadString function:

IDS_IFX_STATUSEX_STATICTEXT_FIRSTUI—The InstallShield Wizard is installing %P.
IDS_IFX_STATUSEX_STATICTEXT_MAINTUI_MODIFY—The InstallShield Wizard is modifying %P.
IDS_IFX_STATUSEX_STATICTEXT_MAINTUI_REPAIR—The InstallShield Wizard is repairing %P.
IDS_IFX_STATUSEX_STATICTEXT_MAINTUI_REMOVEALL—The InstallShield Wizard is removing %P.
IDS_IFX_STATUSEX_STATICTEXT_UPDATEUI—The InstallShield Wizard is updated %VI of %P to version %VS.

e.g. in your OnMaintUIBefore() method, call it like this if the user has selected REMOVEALL:
SetStatusExStaticText(SdLoadString(IDS_IFX_STATUSEX_STATICTEXT_MAINTUI_REMOVEALL));