PDA

View Full Version : 'Setup needs the next disk' problem, HELP! IS bug?

brastaj
10-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Here is the jist of this issue:

Install software initally from a CD, everything is fine. reboot is requested by install so reboot.

remove CD rom, and run add/remove and re-install product using ComponentReinstall();, this time I get msg from install titled 'Setup needs the next disk', body says, 'Please insert disk 1 that contains the file data2.cab.'

there is a 'path:' area with a default already filled in. It contains the path to the install that was removed from the CD rom drive.

This is run on a windows ME system. 6.12 IS

I looked and data2.cab is not getting copied to my install directory in program files, why is this?

more investigation:

I found some info on this, seems that the data2.cab file is not copied intentionally, why I don't understand. I guess in some cases this would be OK, but it should be optional.

I also found a suggested work around to copy the data2.cab manually. I did this and it still didn't fix the problem. Now I am at a loss for what to do next.

jsparks
10-22-2003, 03:33 PM
When setup is run from the ADD/Remove control panel applet the value of SRCDIR resolves to the original location that the install was run from not the new location of setup.exe in the program files directory. That is why the install does not find the data2.cab file. The easiest work around is to require the original install media for repair operations. But the other option is to determine that you are running from the ADD/Remove applet and reset SRCDIR before calling ComponentReinstall. See (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q104327) for details on determing if you are running from ADD/Remove.

I have never actually used this method so I don't know for sure if there are other implications from resetting SRCDIR before the reinstall so I would test this before sending it out to production.