PDA

View Full Version : BaseImage problem while trying to create patch

jagdishprabhu
10-08-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm using Install Shield 6.0 professional. Recently there is a requirements from my seniors that everytime we should give the whole setup and ask customer to remove n install the new one just for sake of replacing 2 or 3 dlls/exes. So i am ask to create a patch. So i have installed InstallShield DevStudio 9. I opened my existing setup made in 6 in this. It asked for migration from 6 -9. I did it. Now I create a new project QuickPatch project, asks me the exe path of Original Setup and default path for BaseImage. I provided it. It runs the setup and ask me for restarting as written in my instalshield 6 script. I tend to restart it later. Now when i open up my patch project, it says "Views will not function path to BaseImage missing" something of that sort. Moreover, i don't see any BaseImage directory created in my setup directory. What could be the posssible reason. I need it badly becos if it works out we need to upgrade from 6 to 9.

tw0001
10-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Quickpatch project is for MSI based project (i.e. Developer 7, 8) You cannot patch from a 6.x based install to a DevStudio 9 using the Quickpatch project type.

You have to write a bunch of script code to override maintenance mode to do such a thing. Or use the same technique of uninstalling the old one and reinstalling the new one in script (by giving the converted DevStudio 9 project a new GUID and uninstalling the old one from script)

Ted.

jagdishprabhu
10-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Thnxs for the info pal. But about the maintenance mode u r talking of, i already have it. the repair mode is sort of patch. So may be i would use msi inorder to have it's features.