PDA

View Full Version : Update patch

buildit
10-08-2003, 10:40 AM
I’m looking for a cleanest way to update just a few files on the machine. The main installation was written in IS Professional 6.03. Your help would be very much appreciated.

jsparks
10-22-2003, 03:42 PM
InstallShield has some sample code for creating patch and Service pack installations. By making some minor changes to a copy of your original installation it is fairly easy to create a patch installer.

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q104431

hellokarl
11-16-2003, 10:46 PM
When this method is followed it breaks when files are missing from the target installation - they don't get updated. Seen any references on how to combine a 'repair' and do an update in one step?

buildit
11-17-2003, 10:56 AM
I found that the easiest and cleanest way to update just a few files in my main installation is to create a brand new setup. This new project would have a very simple logic. Install the file only if it’s found on the system and its version newer than the found one. The project would have its own entry in Add/Remove Program.

hellokarl
11-17-2003, 07:38 PM
For us that wouldn't work. We do a quarterly update to the whole package where things move around. (2003/3 we put our bitmaps that form the background of everything as a part of the typical package. To make space on the CD we had to compress them for 2003/4, so they became a part of the minimum install since you have to uncompress them to have them installed correctly, so they wouldn't exist on people who did minimum installs before but now they have to).

So, we need a mechanism that runs installation types, not just replaces files.