PDA

View Full Version : One Click install and setup.ini question

Sorenhes
10-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Hello,

I'm presently working on several One Click Install setups and I need some additionnal information on what really goes on when the ether.Play() instruction is executed.

I'm working from one project where my OCI modules are subsets (builds) of a larger installation project containing over 15 applications.

My problem is that for my OCI builds I need to have a different PRODUCT_NAME for each module. Presently I configure a different product name for each through the Product Name combo box in the "Initialization Options - Advanced" dialog box. This bubbles the product name to the setup.ini file. This product name appears in the OCI progress bar dialog but when I get to the execution of the OnBegin event of my script the IFX_PRODUCT_NAME variable contains the projet product name as entered in the Product name combo box in the "Projet Settings - Application" dialog box.

What I want to do in the case of my OCI builds is read the AppName keyname in the [Startup] section of the setup.ini file and replace the values of IFX_PRODUCT_NAME and IFX_PRODUCT_DISPLAY_NAME in the OnBegin event. The only thing that prevents me from doing this is the fact that there seems to be no way to find out where OCI downloads the setup.ini file on the destination computer.

So now I turn to the users IS for an answer

Thanks

Robert

DevinEllingson
10-03-2003, 05:24 PM
Sorenhes,

Yes the Setup.ini product name is really supported only for backwards compatibility, the script doesn't know anything about this by default.

We are considering adding per-release (media) product settings in the future, this would allow you to specify a different product name for each release. 1-F6IDX is the tracking # for this feature.

Unfortunately the downloaded file name/location of Setup.ini isn't available to the script currently, so your best bet would be either to open & read the file from the URL location using OpenFile etc. or just download the file to a known location such as SUPPORTDIR using CopyFile and then read it from that location using the Profile API's.

Devin Ellingson
InstallShield Software Corporation

Sorenhes
10-06-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi Devin,

I finally used CopyFile to copy the setup.ini to the SUPPORTDIR directory.

Thanks for the info

Robert

dbriggs
10-08-2003, 09:27 AM
I found that using CopyFile for an Internet file set ASHRO attributes on the file. This could cause problems for you later.

I worked around this by writing a wrapper for CopyFile that checks for the source file being on the Internet using:-

if (Is (URL, SRCDIR) = TRUE) then

and then changes the output file's attributes back to FILE_ATTR_NORMAL using SetFileInfo.

Otherwise, you may find that tidying up SUPPORTDIR requires a reboot (!) or it is left behind with a few odd files in it.

Hope that helps,

David

Sorenhes
10-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi David,

Thank you for the info.

Robert

DevinEllingson
10-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Everyone,

FYI, the attributes problem is tracking #1-F1290, it is scheduled (tenatively) to be fixed in the first DevStudio9 service pack.

Devin Ellingson
InstallShield Software Corporation