PDA

View Full Version : Reordering features using drag and drop

tw0001
10-02-2003, 02:25 PM
I cannot seem to reorder my features using drag and drop. In Professional 5.5, 6.x, and 7.x you could always reorder features (then called components) using Shift-drag. That is, hold down the shift key, while dragging and dropping and it will not put the feature as a subfeature of another feature, it will instead insert the feature between the two features you have dropped to.

It now appears that I cannot do this anymore in DevStudio 9, in either the Setup Design nor the Features pane. When dragging and dropping it always puts the features as a subfeature of another, except when dragging to the parent, in that case it drops the feature to the end of the list. I want to be able to for example, with the feature list:

Feature1
Feature2
Feature3
Feature4

insert Feature4 between Feature1 and Feature2, so the list appears as:

Feature1
Feature4
Feature2
Feature3

Note: just after writing the above I discovered the Ctrl+Shift+Up Ctrl+Shift+Down keyboard shortcuts where I can move stuff up and down one at a time. I still would like the ability to use drag and drop as before, especially helps for very long feature lists.

Thanks
Ted.

DevinEllingson
10-03-2003, 05:05 PM
tw0001,

Interesting that you bring this feature up, my experience is that very few people knew about this feature.

We were thinking that the context menu arrows were more usable and discoverable, but you bring up a good point about long feature lists. I have created 1-FSOMQ regarding this issue.

Anyway, I was considering changing shift-drop to the parent component to place the component at the top of the list (or perhaps the bottom??) instead of making it a sibling of the parent component, since this just duplicates dropping the component on the parent's parent and currently there is no easy way to put a component at the top of the list.

Also, I was contemplating allowing reordering w/o shift by having the same functionality as above even if shift isn't held down (since currently drop on the parent is disabled.) I think this makes sense as a drop on the parent should mean "put this component at the top of the list", regardless of whether the shift key is held down.

Comments?
Devin Ellingson
InstallShield Software Corporation

tw0001
10-04-2003, 10:53 PM
I think some people knew about it, even IS has a KB article Q105123 about it. But yeah, it may have had better use if it was in the main help, also the interesting cursor that was used in Professional 5.x made it a bit more obvious what was going to happen on a shift-drop.

I don't think introducing new dropping methods is going to help at this stage, unless you can implement true drop between two items (see Internet Explorer's "organize favorites" dialog for example - see how it draws a line where it's going to drop it if inserting between two, and lighting up the icon if it's going to make it a child of that icon)

Ted.

Stefan Krueger
10-06-2003, 03:58 AM
Yes that's a better solution. Much more intuitive than shift-drop. Similar to reordering items in Windows Start menu.

Neoptec
10-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Same feeling here, It would be much better this way.

Paul D
10-06-2003, 09:28 AM
I would like to see this aswell, would make life a bit easier. :)