PDA

View Full Version : custom logs

LJHarris
10-01-2003, 07:50 AM
I want to create my own custom log during installation. I do not want my users to have to look at a MSI log (I find it to complicated for the normal user and I cannot control the format of what goes in there, the switches only do so much).

I do want to list all the files that are installed in installation. Q104977 states a method to do this in InstallShield Professional using the OnInstallingFile event. This event is not available to be because I am using an InstallScript MSI Project. If I call FeatureFileEnum for all components associated with all features that are installed, will that give me a comprehensive list of all files installed? Is there a better way?

jimshatt
11-12-2003, 05:15 AM
Hi,
I use CreateFile or OpenFile to create a log file and then write to it using WriteLine.
If you want I can provide you with a .rul that you should easily be able to convert to your needs.

LJHarris
11-12-2003, 08:29 AM
I have the logic using createfile/openfile/WriteLine to do the logging to a file. I am interested in seeing the logic to log all files that have been installed or uninstalled on a system. If you have this logic in your .rul I would appreciate it alot if you could attach it to your response.

Thanks

istchjm
11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Did you guys solve this problem. Please let me know.

nlamka
12-01-2003, 06:53 PM
I've done the following in the OnInstallingFile event .. InstallScript and I've not seen if it still works in DevStudio 9 after migrating the script from ISDEV 6.31. I have a WriteLogEntry routine that actually writes entries to a List that I then write to a log file on exit.

function OnInstallingFile(File)
begin
WriteLogEntry( " " + File );
// if !MAINTENANCE then
// non-maintenance code you can do something if
// want do do something different between maintenance
// mode or not.
// endif;
end;

I also added code to the OnMoving event to write a header to the log file depending on if I'm installing/updating/uninstalling so the issues are tagged in the output file based on what was selected.

LJHarris
12-02-2003, 08:28 AM
The OnInstallingFile event is not available when using a MSI InstallScript project. I stated this problem in my original post.