PDA

View Full Version : MSDE Install Advice Please

buntonn
10-01-2003, 06:03 AM
HI I building a desktop application in .NET and have been using SQL Server 2000 on my dev machine. I need a little advice reagrding MSDE and attaching the database to that instance.

I know there is an MSDE module in DevStudio and then upon completion I guess you install the database file onto the taget machine and then call the DB_Attach stored procedure. Do you have to do all this manualy in a VBS file? Is there any white papers on this subject?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

Nick

buntonn
10-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Ok I have managed to test the install with the MSDE setup and it's fine. I have downloaded the Databasefunction.rul script file from installsite.org but dont know how to use it to create the database and run my script file any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

alex42
10-02-2003, 05:42 AM
I had a look at that script from installsite. The usage is fairly easy, just add the script to your existing script files and your ready to call the functions.
You could also just use the osql utitlity to call your scripts.

buntonn
10-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Thanks I will give that a try, I was importing the databasefunctions.rul file into the project and then trying to call the functions from the setup.rul script. When compiling it was as though a reference was required to tell setup.rul where to find the functions, I will try copying the functions into my setup.rul file instead.

Cheers

Nick

alex42
10-02-2003, 06:48 AM
you need to include seperate files in your setup.rul to access their functions. Just write
#include "databasefunctions.rul"
at the beginning of setup.rul.

I forgot to tell you that earlier, sorry..