PDA

View Full Version : System Folders in InstallScript not working!

JG1210
09-29-2003, 02:05 PM
None of the System Folder properties work. My install is now rendered useless.

For example

AppDataFolder
ProgramFilesFolder
etc.

I am not about to start writing code C++ or VBScript just for these properties.

InstallShield please respond.

Thanks,

JG

tw0001
09-29-2003, 02:28 PM
You need to use non-MSI versions of these identifiers:

App Data: FOLDER_APPDATA
Program Files: PROGRAMFILES
etc.

Ted.

JG1210
09-29-2003, 02:46 PM
System Folder Properties (Destination Folders)

This topic in the help does not specify that these properties cannot be used in an InstallScript project.

Now that InstallScript projects and MSI projects can both be built in DevStudio, the help is a royal mess!

It is very difficult to tell what belongs where.

Thanks for the info!

JG

tw0001
09-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Agreed. I request that there be a page in the help that gives all equivalents to the page in the help titled "Convert InstallScript MSI Dialog Box". There is a section there called "unsupported folder specifiers" and each of these should be in a table that gives the corresponding non-MSI version of the specifier. If you search in the help, you only get piecemeal info about the specifiers and where and when to use them (either MSI or non-MSI)

Ted.

Mark at IS
09-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by tw0001
I request that there be a page in the help that gives all equivalents to the page in the help titled "Convert InstallScript MSI Dialog Box". There is a section there called "unsupported folder specifiers" and each of these should be in a table that gives the corresponding non-MSI version of the specifier. If you search in the help, you only get piecemeal info about the specifiers and where and when to use them (either MSI or non-MSI)Work order 1-FMJUP has been entered for this issue. To ensure that documentation requests are seen and acted on, you can submit them at http://www.installshield.com/feedback/.

tw0001
09-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks. I think this would make an ideal KB article as well,

Ted.

alex42
10-02-2003, 05:06 AM
Furthermore, the popup help is useless. I've only encountered maybe 3-4 functions until now, which lead to the correct help page when pressing F1. Most of the time I end up on the main page.