PDA

View Full Version : Internal error V1, please contact support

BrightonGuy
09-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Here's the background:

I have a product installation created using InstallShield Pro 7.01, using vBuild 1 SP 1 to recompress it as a full CD installation. I have a couple of end users located in Japan that are getting the following error message when trying to install the product:

"Internal error V1, please contact support.
Installation will now terminate "

This error occurs during the "Scouting...." process during the install. From looking at dBenderC11.dll in a hex editor, I can see that the string is present in that DLL. So what is causing this error?

The details of the end user systems:

- Windows XP Pro, SP1
- Japanese locale
- Both systems so far report having enough free disk space at the beginning of the install (2GBs, our product requires no more than 120MB)
- files are being copied into a user directory where the username contains Kanji characters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IlanaB
09-30-2003, 06:15 AM
vBuild has a known limitation of not supporting paths with Kanji or other double-byte characters. This is what's causing the error.

The problem is in the default temporary path where vBuild engine creates the new version files. On Windows XP this is under c:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Temp. As <UserName> in this case includes Kanji characters, vBuild fails.

The path where the the product is installed does not pose any problem, as the installation is handled by InstallShield and vBuild limitations do not apply.

As a workaround, to allow any enduser to use vBuild-enabled installation even if the user name has Kanji characters, he/she can temporarily change the default temporary path as follows:

1. Right click the My Computer icon on desktop and choose Properties
2. Click Advanced tab, then Environment Variables button. An Environment Variables dialog opens, where the top part is called "User variables for <UserName>"
3. One of the variables is TEMP. Select it and click the Edit button. The default is usually %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp. Write this down so it can be restored later.
4. Change this setting to an absolute path on any drive where there is plenty of disk space, e.g. to c:\mytemp.
5. Click OK to close the dialogs.
6. Run vBuild-enabled installation
7. Repeat steps 1-4 to restore TEMP under "User variables for <UserName>" back to %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp or whatever value it had previously.

Ilana

dstmartin
10-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Has this issue been fixed in Version 2 of vBuild?

Alon
10-28-2003, 08:42 AM
No, this issue is not handled in vBuild 2, sorry.

Alon.

BrightonGuy
10-28-2003, 03:19 PM
InstallShield/Red Bend folks:

This bug definitely needs to be addressed in vBuild 2.0. I don't want to rip into you guys, as I hate it when my customers do it to me, but the idea of an install product not being able to support paths containing double-byte characters is intolerable.

I'm guessing a lot of vBuild users, like myself, are using vBuild to compress their software downloads and updates for end users. My customers are worldwide, and the idea that anyone with double byte characters in their login name (namely, Far East customers) coming across these problems installing is embarrassing for me.

I'm working on creating a workaround for the issue, without an end user having to manually change their TEMP directory before and after installing (that's an ok workaround, but shouldn't be something long term), but I'd like to see it addressed in the next maintenance release for 2.0.

dstmartin
10-30-2003, 08:19 AM
I'll echo what BrightonGuy had to say. We've pulled vBuild from our build process until this error can be resolved. It doesn't appear that it's a concern. I can tell you it is for us . . . until it's fixed, we've shelved vBuild. <sigh>

BrightonGuy
10-30-2003, 12:44 PM
Like dstmartin,

I am considering pulling vBuild right now from our build process. It is embarrassing for our Far East customers to encounter this runtime error during the installation process. Bad first impressions are hard to explain away, and we don't want to lose any Far East customers because their first impression with our product is an installation error.

Nor do we want to change our web site download page to read: If you are in the Far East, use this download (32MB), all others, use this one (18MB).

Alon
11-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Adding double-byte support is under consideration for a future release of vBuild. I do not have a specific date or version at this point.

Alon.