PDA

View Full Version : importing dialogs to DevStudio 9 - is this supposed to work?

JG1210
09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
has anyone tried to export from Dev 7 or 8 a dialog and then import to DevStudio 9. Is this supposed to work. I tried but it I then change the folder that my dialog bitmaps point to - they still internally want to access the old locations. My steps.

1. Export a dialog from Dev 7
2. Import to DevStudio 9
3. My bitmaps for DevStudio 9 are in a different place, so went to dialog and changed the file name property for the dialog bitmap to point to the new folder.
4. Build and get RC2135 : file not found: - however the folder listed is the old one, even though the file name property points to new location.

JG

JG1210
09-29-2003, 10:56 AM
i just realized - I am not able to change ANY of the properties, including the control identifier.

I am sure glad we are just evaluating

RichAquino
09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi,

This should work. If it is a bug, it may be that we are not updating the schema of the ISD file (the dev7 or 8 dialog that you exported) before trying to import it. I thought that's done, thought. Could you try this?

1. Backup your dev7 or 8 project.
2. Open it in DevStudio9.
3. Export the dialog (i.e. now the ISD is the DevStudio9 schema).
4. Import the dialog into another project.

Does the build work?

Are you only having problems changing properties in the case where you imported the pre-DevStudio9 ISD file?

Rich

JG1210
09-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Rich:

ok I have narrowed it down a bit.

The problem occurs when you try to use the option "Import dialog from Resource dlls".

I chose to import from my IS7 isuser dll. Then I could no longer change any of the properties, even for the default dialogs.

However I discovered that this problem is corrected by closing DevStudio 9 and re-opening.

Go figure.

I guess it is not so major a problem anymore, but something to look at for a SP.

Thanks,

JG

JonArme
09-29-2003, 02:38 PM
I wasn't able to reproduce this.
Here's the scenario I tried:

1. Created Standard (InstallScript MSI) project in Developer 7.04.
2. Edited the SdWelcome dialog with some custom controls.
2. Built the setup (created the _ISUser1033.dll for the custom SdWelcome dialog)
3. Created a new InstallScript MSI project in DevStudio 9.
4. Imported the _ISUser1033.dll. This imported the custom SdWelcome dialog into the new project.
5. I changed some of the properties on the controls without a problem. I changed the File Name property for the bitmap control by pointing to a new .bmp file at a newlocation.

6. I then built a new release. There were no build errors. I ran the setup...the new bitmap was drawn correctly.

Am I missing something? It would be good if you could attach a small project and resource dll that reproduces the problem.

JG1210
09-29-2003, 02:43 PM
3. Created a new InstallScript MSI project in DevStudio 9.

This step is different - I used an InstallScript project, not MSI.

My company does not allow me to send any files to a public forum. If you like you can give me your email and I will send you my isuser.dll directly to you.

Thanks,

JG

JonArme
09-29-2003, 02:48 PM
I just tried it with an InstallScript project and still couldn't repro.

If possible, send the simplest project and .dll that can reproduce this. Thanks.

jona@installshield.com

alex42
10-01-2003, 07:47 AM
same thing here....

what I tried:
1. open Dev7 project in DevStudio
2. export dialog as .isd
3. import
-->dialog looks ok, but can't change a single property

1. import from Dev7 _ISUser1031.dll
-->dialog controls are all disabled, properties say they are not, properties can't be changed

...........what now?

JG1210
10-01-2003, 08:20 AM
JonArme:

Please respond if an incident has been opened on your side for this.

thanks,

JG

JonArme
10-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Still doing some investigating here at IS.

Will respond as soon as I can with a resolution.
Thanks for your patience.

JonArme
10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
I have reported this issue to our Development team here at IS to take a look at for an upcoming SP. The WO tracking number is 1-FOPV1.

The issue is importing an .isd file from an MSI based project (like InstallScript MSI) to an InstallScript project. The Dialog editor will revert changed values back to the original values when editing a control.

This seems to only happen when going between MSI based projects and the InstallScript project type. Also, if you export directly to the new project .ism (instead of the .isd file) this doesn't happen.
This would be one workaround for the problem. Another would be to edit the control information directly in the Control table of the project using the Direct Editor.

JG1210, you were getting resource compilation errors because the file path was not getting correctly changed in the Binary table entry that represented your bitmap files. Check these entries, you can edit them in the Direct Editor.

Thanks for your patience and for reporting this issue.

sharkbite
10-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Does DevStudio 9 not support Windows IP Address Control. I have a dialog created during IS6.2 and just upgraded to DS9, however my dialog now fails to load.

I attempted to import the dialog from my VC++ compile resource dll, but the IP address fields show up as custom controls, blacked out.

Is this a known issue or is there a workaround for this? Can I use my existing isuserdll instead of the one being built by the project?

JonArme
10-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Dev9 should create the dialog in the Dialog Editor and the IP address control should be created as a Custom control in the editor. The Type property should be set to SysIPAddress32.

Did you import your old _ISUser1033.dll file into the new project in Dev9?

sharkbite
10-02-2003, 08:58 AM
I created a standalone _ISUser.dll via Visual C++ and used that. WHen I import the dialogs from a resource dll, I see my dialogs appear however I receive errors stating cannot load resource and IsWindow failed. Is this a bug, or do I need to rebuild my custom dll names as IsUser1033.dll????