PDA

View Full Version : InstallScript project tables

Mike__
09-24-2003, 12:11 PM
I noticed the DirectEditor feature in an InstallScript project. Is it possible to create custom tables that can be queried at install time like in an InstallScriptMSI project?

Mark at IS
09-24-2003, 12:29 PM
In an InstallScript project, the Direct Editor displays the project files, which use the Windows Installer table format. These files are not included in the built release and thus are not accessible at run time.

You can store custom runtime information in an initialization file (.ini file) or other text file and place it in the Suport Files/Billboards view under the appropriate language node; access this information at run time by reading from the file at SUPPORTDIR ^ "<filename>".

tw0001
09-24-2003, 01:57 PM
In Professional 7 all project files were standard INI files so if added to the support files, they could be queried using GetProfString etc. Now that they are XML in DevStudio 9, a special set of routines would need to be developed to do the equivalent of what you can do in Professional 7.

Ted.

Mike__
09-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Good idea!
I could probably use an external msi file as well. Place it in Setup Files or Disk1 and use the Windows installer automation interface.
That way I can share info between my msi and InstallScript installs.

Thanks!

RichAquino
09-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi,

You may also want to consider creating a merge module for your common installation data. That way:

1. You can just add it into either project type from the Redistributables (Basic MSI or InstallScritpt MSI) or Objects (InstallScript) views.

2. You don't have to write custom logic for the InstallScript project.

Rich

vladcsc
07-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Mark at IS
In an InstallScript project, the Direct Editor displays the project files, which use the Windows Installer table format. These files are not included in the built release and thus are not accessible at run time.

You can store custom runtime information in an initialization file (.ini file) or other text file and place it in the Suport Files/Billboards view under the appropriate language node; access this information at run time by reading from the file at SUPPORTDIR ^ "<filename>".

How can custom tables be used at all then? Can I make a custom table and somehow insert the data into my installscript (to replace many #define, for example) at build-time (like the string tables)? I want to create my own script-created feature set, and it would be nice to have it in a table.