PDA

View Full Version : InstallScript Only Projects?

ISVFox
09-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Hi,

Will the new DevStudio 9 allow the creation of InstallScript only installations? That is, can we create installations that do not use the MSI engine at all?

As a current user of IS Dev 8, it's InstallScript projects use the MSI engine. We are hoping that since IS Pro is now combined with IS Dev, that the new combined product would not necessary lock everything into the MSI engine.

Thanks

Neoptec
09-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Yes that's what I'm trying to do right now ;)
You can create an installscript only installation.
Just copy-paste your installscript code and you're good to go.

tw0001
09-23-2003, 10:14 AM
You can also convert an InstallScript MSI project to InstallScript non-MSI by using the Project-Convert to InstallScript Project menu item.

Ted.

ISVFox
09-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi Ted,

Thanks for that additional info. It would be sweet if that turns out to be a smooth conversion. Have you tried that yet? We've had nothing but problems with the MSI engine.

Thanks to Neo too...

tw0001
09-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Only two changes that I know of need be made to your script that the conversion does not do automatically. It does not convert INSTALLDIR to TARGETDIR (a simple "replace all" will remedy that). Also it doesn't convert string table entries such as PRODUCT_NAME correctly. It seems to remove them from string table but not change them in your script. To remedy this, you only need to change @PRODUCT_NAME to IFX_PRODUCT_NAME.

Ted.

Art Middlekauff
09-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Please see this KB article (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q108922) for tips on this conversion.

alatten
09-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I also tried to convert my ISDev 7.04 Standard (InstallScript MSI) Project into a pure InstallScript Project in ISDevStudio 9 to get rid of all the still unsolved Bugs in this Project type...
But I encountered a lot more problems than the two mentioned in the KB article (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q108922) :

During Conversion, I received a lot of warnings, that the logic included in most MSI tables must be replaced by script-logic. This is not surprising, but would be worth a hint in KB article.
Besides INSTALLDIR, I detected at least two more FolderNames that couldn't be compiled in an InstallScript Project: WindowsVolume and CommonFilesFolder. But in Help there's no hint that these FolderNames are only available in MSI-Projects.
After a quick look into Registry area of the IDE, I just detected that the Properties [Manufacturer], [ProductName], and [INSTALLDIR] which I used for dynamical naming of keys/values, are not replaced by appropriate variables during conversion.
Next (but also not surprising) problem:
All calls for MSIGet/SetProperty must be replaced by a concept using GlobalVariables. My only problem is, that I used these Properties to conditionally install certain Components. Unfortunately in Script-Only-Projects, Components don't have a condition. So I must link them now to their own Subfeatures, which can be switched on and off from script.
Another thing is the new SetupType 'Complete'. After conversion, no Features have been linked to it. May be it would be a good idea to link the same Features as for 'Typical'.
Next bigger problem is my converted SdSetupType2 dialogue: it returns wrong values. If I select 'Typical', it returns 304 (expected 301) and in case of 'Custom' the ReturnValue is 1 (expected 303).
Biggest problem is installation of dynamically linked files: they are not included into the release build and not installed at all. Only the empty directories are created. (I tried Releases with CDROM_Folders and Cabinet-Files)

That's the point where I decided to stay with my InstallScript MSI Project in ISDev 7.04. There still seems to be no reason for upgrading: the technical problems are not fixed, and the conversion to a more stable project type doesn't seem to be easy done. I guess Neo's proposal to create a new project and to copy&paste the script section from the old project seems to be a more reliable way than conversion of an existing one.

Has anybody succeeded with a smooth conversion?

Regards,
Andrees