PDA

View Full Version : Application Target Folder vs. InstallDir

neal007
09-22-2003, 03:15 PM
I can't figure out what the difference is...

Also, my installdir says:

<INSTALLDIR>[INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR]

Mark at IS
09-23-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by neal007
I can't figure out what the difference is...The Application Target Folder is displayed in InstallScript projects; its target location is determined by the value of the system variable TARGETDIR as set by the script. INSTALLDIR is displayed in Windows Installer based projects (including InstallScript MSI projects); its target location is determined by the value of the product property INSTALLDIR.
Also, my installdir says:

<INSTALLDIR>[INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR]Where does it say that? What actions had you performed prior to it saying that?

alatten
03-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Hi Mark,

with my German DevStudio 9.00 it happens all the times, if I choose NewProject and InstallScript as Project Type. In Files and Folders area, I have 'Application Target Folder ' with a component 'Default Component' and <INSTALLDIR>[INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR][INSTALLDIR] in parallel (see attached screen shot). Because I was more familiar with INSTALLDIR from my Dev 7.04 Project, I added first all my files to <INSTALLDIR> and removed the 'Default Component' from 'Application Target Folder'. The result was, that 'Application Target Folder' was not longer available in this view and to get it back, I had to use Direct Editor.
During file transfer at runtime, I received an error with an invalid path for file C:\ProvisJ\<INSTALLDIR>, where C:\ProvisJ is my TARGETDIR, set in IScript.

It also happens, if I load my Dev 7.04 InstallScript MSI Project into DevStudio 9.00 and convert it to pure InstallScript type (with the difference, that the converter knows where to put my folders...)

I think it would be a good idea to remove this confusing <INSTALLDIR> entry in future releases!

Regards,
Andrees

alatten
03-01-2004, 07:31 AM
Hope it works now:

Mark at IS
03-01-2004, 09:07 AM
I have entered InstallShield work order 1-KCHWP regarding this bug.

neal007
03-01-2004, 09:13 AM
It's US also, had this forever, surprised InstallShield has never seen this!