PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall on Windows 98

Pratimesh
09-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi All,
I have been recently assigned the job of looking at the installer and am at my wits end abt the following problem:

The uninstallation on Windows 98 says " You dont have required privilieges to uninstall the application..."

What could be the reason as on Windows 98 I dont think there's any such distinction among user.

Any help on this will be hugely appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Pratimesh

yatest5
09-17-2003, 05:33 AM
a badly written installer I guess. If you post the setup.rul file then we can try and find the problem.

Pratimesh
09-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Thankx a lot for replying.
Could you give me some pointers to what the issue can be as the installer works fine for Win2k and Win NT.......
And this installer ( for Windows 98 ) gets installed properly and works fine but Uninstallation gives the prolems of "user privilege".

Is it that the Installshield Pro 6.0 problem ( I read somewhere the engine requires administrative rights ......)

Thank a ton,
pratimesh

yatest5
09-17-2003, 05:52 AM
but since I have never seen this message before, I think whoever wrote your installer has done their own checks in the script for administrative priveleges and they are displaying this message.

I would start by finding where in setup.rul this message is displayed (search for the text or it's name in the String table in setup.rul) and check the logic. It may be as simple as not doing this check on Windows 98 systems.

if(!SYSINFO.WIN9X.bWin98))....

This is all guesswork though!

Pratimesh
09-17-2003, 06:25 AM
Hi Again,
I tried doing that but I see that there is no check as such being made except at the time of installation....
NO check at the time of uninstallation...
That message is surely not from my code.......
Actaully I was getting a corrupt .isu file message at unistallation ,I managed to solve it....
Now it doesn t give the corrupt .isu message but the "user privileges" message...

Pratimesh

yatest5
09-17-2003, 07:26 AM
I don't even know what an .isu file is....