PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall problem

elektrobank
09-02-2003, 11:11 AM
When I try to uninstall my application the uninstaller goes into an endless loop. From what I am seeing it is trying to uninstall a DLL that is needed by another program and as it tries to uninstall the DLL, the other program runs its repair install to try and reinstall the DLL so the two go into an endless cycle. I looked in my event log and it looks like they are fighting over sqlRun.dll. My program is installing this somewhere that I can't tell and it looks like MSDE tries to reinstall it as my installer tries to uninstall it. I don't include sqlRun.dll in my installer so I'm ussuming that it is included in one of the merge modules I'm using.
How can I fix this problem I'm having? Is there an easy way to get a list of all the DLLs that each Merge Module uses so I can see what's installing SqlRun? I'm thinking that even if I find the merge module though, it will probably still be needed so is there a way to prevent it from removing the DLL that's used by another application? Any suggestions?
Thanks.

dhesog
09-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Please make sure that 'shared' property of the component with which this DLL is associated is set to 'Yes'.

This will allow this DLL to be shared among other applications which uses this, even if your application is uninstalled.