PDA

View Full Version : Silent installation through network

sujituk
08-27-2003, 05:35 AM
Hi All,
I have used InstallShield professional 6.3 to create my installation package. It is mainly designed for silent installation. The silent installation works fine. I am using this:
<path of setup.exe> -s -f1 <path of setup.iss>
This setup works fine if the Setup along with the .iss files are present in my local machine.
But if the setup and its respective .iss file are present in another machine ie., network then the silent install fails.
Ex: if the machine is a network machine abc along with the .iss file in a folder Test
ie.. \\abc\Test\Setup.exe -s -f1 \\abc\Test\Setup.iss Then the setup doesn't work. It fails to install silently.

Thanks in advance..

Sujit

ShannonPratt
08-28-2003, 12:38 PM
do you possibly only have read-only permissions on that share? Be default the silent install will try and create a install log file. If it can't write to that location it could make it not work. You could check this out by using the following code

\\abc\Test\Setup.exe -s -f1"\\abc\Test\Setup.iss" -f2"c:\windows\temp\temp.log"

If this doesn't work you could also try mapping a drive to \\abs\test and running this code from the mapped drive instead of the UNC path.

Good luck.

sujituk
08-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Hi Shannon,
Thanks a lot for the solution.
That really worked...

Sujit

yatest5
08-29-2003, 08:33 AM
You just scared the **** out of me - we call a silent installation in our setup and its distributed on CD's..... which are READ-ONLY!

However, I've just tested, and ours works fine both from a read-only network share and from CD - strange huh?

I have to say, I'd be a bit surprised / annoyed if silent setups did bomb out on CD's...

Overall, I'm a bit confused...

sujituk
08-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi yatest,
I am surprised how that works!!!

Please share the code in that case.
Its very urgent

Sujit

ShannonPratt
08-29-2003, 04:52 PM
that is why I had an idea of the solution. We created a package and burned it on a cd and it quit working. So we added the f2 location for the log file and everything was fine. Not sure why it works sometimes and not others. Maybe depending on version of IS the package was built with? Dont know....