PDA

View Full Version : copy install files to the setup/uninstall folder

HARPUR
08-14-2003, 07:28 AM
I am a relatively new user of IS Pro 6.31... so apologies if this is a stupid question.

When running my v1 installation it works as expected, including tasks such as:
copy install files to the setup/uninstall folder (C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID})
creates 'add/remove programs' entry
create registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID}

When running v2 over a v1 installation (with the same GUID)... the existing installation is removed using the following functions: ComponentRemoveAll and; ComponentTransferData(MEDIA). These two commands result in the following expected tasks:
runs the v1 uninstall from C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID}
remove the setup/uninstall folder (C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID})
Remove the 'add/remove programs' entry
Delete registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID}

Now, I want to install v2 using the following commands: ComponentSelectItem and; ComponentReinstall. It does the following:
creates 'add/remove programs' entry
create registry entries (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID}
does not copy install files to the setup/uninstall folder (C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID})

How can I make my installation copy install files to the setup/uninstall folder (C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID}) so that a user can initiate an uninstallation? I'm probably missing some basic command!!!!

Liam.

:confused:

Mark at IS
08-15-2003, 08:20 AM
I think v2 needs to call ComponentSelectItem( MEDIA, DISK1COMPONENT, TRUE ) before installing files.

HARPUR
08-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Yo Mark,
Thanks for the reply... yes I enable several components using the command you mention... this results in the files being successfully copied... but: I cannot uninstall the program... because the uninstall files are not copied to: C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID}

So I can not uninstall it using the 'Add/Remove Programs'

Currently my work around is to do a filecopy so that the 'Add/Remove Programs' v2 uninstallation entry works.

Do you have any other ideas?

Liam.

Mark at IS
08-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Look carefully at that second argument---are you making that precise call?

Mark at IS
08-15-2003, 09:05 AM
HARPUR wrote on 08-15-2003 09:00 AM:
When I compile my IS Pro V6.31 installation, with the exact command you gave me, it says that DISK1COMPONENT is undefined. If I define it what should I assign to it?Assign DISK1COMPONENT the string value "Disk<1>".

HARPUR
08-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Mark,
That worked a dream. You reallly know your stuff... lucky for us :D

Thanks again,
Liam.