PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Installshield on my machine

Joe Siegler
08-08-2003, 04:57 PM
I'm having a very odd Installshield problem. Yesterday, our Lan admin changed me over to a Windows 2003 Server login. Since then, all kinds of problems have been occurring on my system. But the one I was wondering if you had any ideas about is this.

When I go to run *ANY* Installshield build, I get a rather rude looking error screen when I start. I'm currently working on a new CD master for my company's game Rise of the Triad, and that's what you see in this screenshot:

http://forums.3drealms.com/images/installshield.png

The text in that dialog box says this:

C:\DOCUME~1\SIEGLER\LOCALS~1\Temp\{802D9406-114D-11D5-AAAB-00C0DF245F7E}\{F35332C4-6D0A-4900-A1C5-5C49241BE15A}\

I have no clue why it's doing this. If I press cancel, it comes up again. I have to press cancel 5 times, and then it appears to work right. I can run the install. This happened when I needed to upgrade my Palm desktop too, I ran that INstallshield, and got a similar error box.

Do you have any idea where this is coming from, and what to do about it? I'm running WinXP Pro here.

I'm so irritated at the problem that I think I've moved past the point of being able to think rationally about it - I just want it fixed. :)

If this is posted in the wrong area, then someone please let me know where it should have been.

installdude
08-10-2003, 02:23 PM
I think that your setup is looking for some file in SUPPORTDIR. You can check the value of this variable in the Online Help. It's strange that a Windows Installer message box is coming up when you're using ISPE. Anyways, I think it's trying to look for some install support file. Try using the OnFileError() and the OnNextDisk() events and debugging it again. This may tell you exactly what file it's looking for.

Hope this helps ;)

Joe Siegler
10-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Well, part of the problem is that this kind of error is also cropping up in OTHER Installshield builds. It's not just ones I'm creating. Some that I download and install are having the same problem, too. :confused:

jsparks
10-09-2003, 02:55 PM
I have had this problem also what I found is that the installshield script runtime files (isscript.msi) leaves behind some Windows installer keys in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Installer

Once these HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys (as opossed to any HKEY_LOCAL_MAICHINE KEYS) are deleted the problem goes away.

I don't have the exact keys any more but the second GUID in the path that you are prompted with should match the product code of the version of isscript.msi that was installed.