PDA

View Full Version : Silent run of Install Shield

praveen_intuit
08-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Is it possible to run another Install Shield( say foo.exe)
*silently* or in the background from within a current Install Shield( say foo1.exe)?

Thanks,
Praveen

LewisQ
08-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Just use LaunAppAndWait(). YOu must have a response file for the second setup. Look up the help on silent installs...

praveen_intuit
08-06-2003, 02:39 PM
Well, I tried LaunchAppandWait but you still need to click-through
the dialog boxes.
I can't seem to find a way to run the InstallShield and yet
not throw up dialog boxes for user input(as in click the next buttons and so on....)

LewisQ
08-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Look up the help for Silent Installations and learn how you can create a response file. You need a response file to prevent the dilaogs from showing up!

praveen_intuit
08-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks.

I can now run the silent install after having the Setup.exe and the
setup.iss file in the same folder.

This brought up some other issues.

I still cannot run another install within the current install because at some point both the installs refer to "setup.inx" file and you can have only 1 setup.inx file the SUPPORTDIR.

I tried to create a "temp" dir in SUPPORTDIR and run it from there and of no avail.

any thoughts?

The other way is to transfer the contents of the Installer onto the TARGET machine, run it in silent mode and then remote the contents.

-Praveen

magicclaw
08-18-2003, 11:31 AM
You need to add the secondary IS setup in as one of your to-be-installed filegroups. Set this filegroup's destination, then, as a subdirectory of the support files directory, say SUPPORTDIR\foo_install.

Sometime during the post file transfer methods, say, OnMoved() or OnFirstUIAfter(), add a call to

LaunchAppAndWait(SUPPORTDIR ^ "foo_install\\foo.exe","/S",WAIT);

That should get you up and running. This is mentioned as a caveat in the DoInstall() instructions in the help files (I think) and the printed "Language Reference" book that comes with InstallShield (I know...that's where I first learned of this).

nasagar
08-18-2003, 11:58 AM
I believe both the setup use different GUID, how come they use the same SUPPORTDIR?

Sagar