PDA

View Full Version : InstallShield Upgrade questions

sundaraaa
08-05-2003, 02:24 AM
Dear all,
I have InstallShield 6.31. I require language packs for european language support. There is no language pack upgrade for 6.31. But they have upgrades to Professional 7.0 or Developer 8.0. My doubt is, should I need get the language pack alone or both upgradation and language packs. In InstallShield website, I found there are language packs for West and East. I require both.
Here are the list available for my requirements.

InstallShield Developer
Upgrade Product

Developer 8.0 Upgrade from Developer or Professional

Language Packs Only

Developer 8.0 West
Developer 8.0 East
Developer 8.0 West Language Pack from Any Developer West (Developer 8.0 Base Product required)
Developer 8.0 East Language Pack from Any Developer East (Developer 8.0 Base Product required)

InstallShield Professional
Upgrade Product

Professional 7.01 Upgrade from any Developer, any Professional or any Express

Language Packs Only

Professional 7.01 West Full
Professional 7.01 East Full
Professional 7.01 West Upgrade from any West
Professional 7.01 East Upgrade from any East

Here are my questions regarding upgrading:

1. Which one is best Developer 8.0 or Professional 7.01?
2. Incase of Developer, Is it possible to develop install package without MSI installer (existing Professional based setup)??
3. Should I buy both West Full and East Full alone or along with the Upgrade product??

Could any one help me in choosing the upgrading path and language packs??

Thanks in advance,
Sundar

billybollockhed
08-05-2003, 05:08 AM
I cant help.. but I'ld like to second this question.. I too am confused by this.. it's all a bit messy isnt it?

yatest5
08-05-2003, 08:15 AM
It is *so* rude that you are forced to upgrade a working product because you have to buy some add-ons!

As you say, Developer is mostly (AFAIK) aimed at MSI installations, so if you're working on Professional 6.31 now I'd upgrade to Professional 7.xx.

I myself did this recently and the upgrade path for your installation is surprisingly easy - it pretty much just works when you load it up into the new version.

I'm not sure if Developer will be as suited, although I think it may be more future-proof, which is important when IS are forcing you to spend 1000 unnecessary dollars. Swines.

sundaraaa
08-05-2003, 08:24 AM
I need to support european languages. Does the simple upgrade provide me a language support?? Do I need to purchase language packs as well separately??

yatest5
08-05-2003, 08:30 AM
know for sure - I have a feeling that InstallShield supports one language on its own (for example, mine supported english). If you need to support several European languages you will need to add the Western language pack.

The page below shows the languages supported by each pack...

http://www.installshield.com/isp/info/language_packs.asp

sundaraaa
08-05-2003, 08:44 AM
My doubt is, should I have to purchase only the language packs alone or Should I have to purchase both the upgradation pack and language packs?

Are the language packs addons or Full package??

yatest5
08-05-2003, 08:46 AM
packs are add-ons. But it seems that Installshield will not let you buy the language-pack add-ons for Install Shield 6.31, so you will need to buy one of the latest InstallShield versions AND the langauge packs you need.

Perhaps if there is someone nice at InstallShield sales they will sell you the 6.31 language packs, but I wouldn't count on it...