PDA

View Full Version : Component Transfer Error. Error : 1

jamanda
07-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way I can put in a global OnComponentError type function so that should an error occur anywhere in installation I get more information than, Error : 1.

The way the help file reads, it looks as though I need to put a call in each function but this seems very time consuming.

Cheers,
AJ

fighter
07-31-2003, 06:00 AM
Hi,

You can put the OnComponentError event globally selecting "Miscellaneous" from the combo box just above the Project workspace and after selecting Miscellaneous, select "OnComponentError" from the just right hand side combo box. This event is at the last in the said combo box.

The error which you specified is the retrun of the ComponentErrorInfo function and the default code in the OnComponentError event will have only ComponentErrorInfo function to give details of the error happens during component transfer. You need to add ComponentError function is the event at proper place to get more information about the error.

Can you please tell in which condition you got this error?

I have used OnComponentError event in my setups. So if you need any more information, please post on the forum.

-Sudhir

jamanda
07-31-2003, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I did that with OnComponentError but it put it into one of my functions. I moved it to the OnBegin function but as I can't recreate the error it's impossible to test. I wasn't sure if this would be a global - I'll have another go as I may have done it wrong.

"Can you please tell in which condition you got this error?"

Unfortunately I don't know much about the error. I've asked for more information from the person who keeps getting it but haven't had a response yet. All I know is that it happens occasionally whilst installing the software and it only seems to happen on one machine. I think it may be a case of creating a debug build with a ton of MessageBox statements to trace through and narrow it down a bit.

jamanda
07-31-2003, 03:00 PM
Just had some more info - apparently it installed ok when the user put their machine into safe mode. I think it's WindowsXP.

fighter
08-01-2003, 12:29 AM
Hi,

I would like to add few points here. As per the help and my observations I have noticed that IS make a call to ComponentError function only in the case when there is some error during Component transfer. So OnBegin, as per my opinion is not the correct place to put ComponentError function, because in this event IS does all the initialization and component transfer happens only after OnFirstUIBefore.

OnComponentError event is global for all component transfer related errors, so the best place to put ComponentError function is in this event only. I may be missing something, but I am not sure that I have understood your requirement to trap the component error in all the functions. OnComponentError auto fired whenever there is component error and you need to cutomize this event as per your requirement.

Yes, I can understand that if you can't reproduce the problem then it becomes difficult to trap. As you said when the machine is running in the safe mode its working corectly. If this behaviour is consistant then I will suggest you please look after the machine/OS first rather than braking rocks in the IS code.

Please post if you want to exchange more information.

-Sudhir