PDA

View Full Version : Install Requirement

cprince
06-23-2003, 07:39 AM
I was wondering if it is possible to require particular updates after a designated period of time. If say after 30 days the update is not installed the program is disabled until the update is installed.

We have an internal sales application that requires rate changes and product spec changes that effect projection. We don't want people just skipping the install forever because they don't feel like updating.

Thanks
Chris

Chris Woerner
06-23-2003, 10:19 AM
I believe you can do what you describe. I will write some pseudo code here to describe the logic. I don't know if you want to use the Web/ Wizard or custmer interface, but this should at least show you the logic. Our APIs are very flexible, please let me know if this doesn't match your desired end-user experience.

When the update is first released, do NOT mark it as critical (next use). Your users will see the update, but can decide not to install it. After 30 days, mark the update as critical (next use). Users will have to install the update to continue using your program.

In your program, have the following logic...

isconnected() to check for an internet connection
autoupdate() with nOptions set to 1. tells you if a critical update is available.

if critical update,
display a message box to the user, telling about the update
autoupdate() to download and install the update
exit your application

else
appupdate() to check for non-critical message

note: you probably want to set the schedule interval to '2 days' or something else small like that. Appupdate uses that interval to determine how often to check for optional updates.

cprince
06-23-2003, 11:11 AM
thank you that was helpful and pointed me in the right direction.