PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance mode vs. Upgrade

JMBeyer
06-19-2003, 11:36 AM
I am new to using vBuild. I created a vBuild package for version 1 of my program. This is installed on a test PC. Then I created a vBuild package for version 2 of my program, which has a number of changed files and a couple new files from version 1. I created an OCI vBuild package for version 2. When the build is complete I get the build statistics listing time and size savings for new users of version 2 and then for updates from version 1. So that looks good.

The problem is when I run the resulting setup on the test PC instead of it simply updating the program to version 2, I get the maintenance window with the modify, repair or remove options. How do I get it to simply apply the upgrade? I don't want the users to see the maintenance window.

Thanks!

IlanaB
06-19-2003, 01:03 PM
I am glad that vBuild can save download size and time for your updates.

With or without vBuild, the logic of your install is exactly the same. The only place where you determine installation behaviour is in InstallSHield Professional IDE - vBuild just moves your logic from the original Professional package into the vBuild package.

What you want to do is get rid of maintenance mode. This is a pure IS Professional issue. There is an IS Pro knowledge base article Q104414 at http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=q104414 that tells you how to do that.

Ilana

JMBeyer
06-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks, I will try that. The reason I expected it to work as I described is that one of my teammates got that behavior when he was learning how to use vBuild. We can't figure out the difference between what he did and what I did, but in his case, he did not get the maintenance screen.

IlanaB
06-19-2003, 01:30 PM
When you have Show Update UI option in Project Settings turned ON, and your version numbers are different (major and minor), you will not go into maintenance mode. If it's the same version number and only the build number is different, you do go into Maintenance mode .

When Show Update UI option is off, you go into maintenance in any case. This may be the difference.

Ilana