PDA

View Full Version : File hosting w/ Full Purchased Service

smcgill
06-06-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm wondering if when you purchase the full web update service from InstallShield, does that include server space to host the actual update files (exe's, msi's, msp's, etc). I was under the impression that you must provide your own server & just have the service point to it in the update messages as w/ my testing in with my evaluation account. Though, others I've spoken w/ were under the impression that InstallShield has servers to host the files.

Chris Woerner
06-06-2003, 01:38 PM
You host your update files (EXE, MSI, MSP, etc...). InstallShield only hosts the Notification Server and DB. The update files can be read from any HTTP/ HTTPS server (or even file server for internal usage).

smcgill
06-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Not to press the issue, but I just wanted to double check because another person my company was under the impression that the updates get cached on InstallShield servers. Hence, when someone downloads the update... one of your servers cache it, so when another client requests that update it actually ends up coming down from an InstallShield box. I assumed, that the update service simply pointed to one of our own servers for the download and that's it?

Thanks in advance, you've been very quick in responding to my questions!

smcgill
06-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Does InstallShield offer any kind of update file hosting service? Or is the only way to do it, to have our own web servers hosting the files.

thanks.

Chris Woerner
06-06-2003, 02:45 PM
InstallShield does not offer file hosting. Unless you are doing this in large quantities, almost any web server can be used to host files. Many companies will put their website and file downloads on the same machines. Of course, if you are doing a large quantity of data, then you will need multiple machines.

Stefan Krueger
06-06-2003, 04:10 PM
that the updates get cached on InstallShield servers. Hence, when someone downloads the update... one of your servers cache it
I'm pretty sure your updates are not cached on InstallShield's server. They are not even tranmitted through InstallShield's server. (Otherwise InstallShield would have to pay for your download bandwidth)
The Update Service directly downloads from the URL you specify for your file.
Are you having a problem finding a location to host your updates?

smcgill
06-19-2003, 09:43 AM
No, I was just confirming. Somone else here at my company had the impression that the files were somehow cached by IS update servers. I assumed they simply come from our own servers.