PDA

View Full Version : How to use Multi-installer suite silently

anyone
06-04-2003, 11:02 AM
I already have two typical installer with user input panels. They can be run silently by using two response files. Now I need to use a multi-installer suite to install those two products silently. But the suite only can read its own response file, and has no idea on how to read the two single installer response files. Can somebody give me some hint on how to write a custom bean to achieve that?

CharlesW
06-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Yould only be able to use a response file for beans which existed in the suite, not the sub-products. You might create a custom command line option which will allow you to set a sub-prooducts wizard bean an product bean properties from the command line. You could then enter these custom command line arguments to the response file from the suite.

Attached, you will find two custom command line options. One which will allow you to set a sub-product wizard bean property (-SW), and one which will allow you to set a sub-product product bean property (-SP). To use these new command line options, place IncludeCustomCommand.class, SubProductBeanPropertiesOption.class, and SubProductWizardBeanPropertiesOption.class in the Multi-Platform classpath (classes directory), then register IncludeCustomCommand and add it to the wizard tree of the suite. After doing this, you will be able to use the -SP switch and -SW switch. The correct syntax of this is the same as -P, except you need to specify the archive name of the sub-installer. For example:

-SP ArchiveName.jar feature1.active=false

The same holds true for the -SW switch. This will also work from an options file.

anyone
06-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Thank you very much. It is working!
However, I have to add wizard bean references to visit each bean in the single installer, and disable the "install" action from the suite installer. Otherwise, each single installation would run twice, one by single installer, and one by suite installer.

CharlesW
06-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Sorry. I think that you lost me. Would you please clarify your question.

anyone
06-04-2003, 03:47 PM
In one single installer, there is a userInputPanel with two radio buttons(field name is userinputbean.continue_if_radio1) at the very begining of the wizard tree. Right after is the wizard sequence bean which includes install preview, install, post install... If userinputbean.continue_if_radio1="yes", installation would be processed, otherwise not.

In the suite installer, I added the userCommandLine bean to the wizard tree, and modified the response file to add -SW setup1.jar userinputbean.continue_if_radio1="no"

When I ran the suite install silently. even the value is "no". Two products were still installed. The suite install action seems work no matter what. I had to disable the install action from the suite wizard tree and add wizard bean references for both userInputPanel and wizard sequence bean to the suite wizard tree. This way, the first product would not be installed if userinputbean.continue_if_radio1="no".

Now,comes to another problem, I could not get the infomation from the suite product selection panel. I have no idea which product the end user chooses.

CharlesW
06-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Try setting the active propertythe root product bean for the sub-product. This should prevent the sub-product from being installed.

To get a wizard bean property for a sub-product in a suite, and also setting wizard bean properties, please see KB article Q105573. In the case of the setup type, query the selectedSetupType property of the setup types panel for the sub-product.

zengland
08-23-2004, 04:55 PM
This kind of worked for me.
I have a suite that installs 3 products.
I added the custom beans IncludeCustomCommand.class, SubProductBeanPropertiesOption.class, and SubProductWizardBeanPropertiesOption.class and I can now access the subproduct properties in a silent install.

However, the one piece that is still not working is deactivating the features of a subproduct.
Product A has 3 feautures.

In my silent file I added the following options:

-SW setup1.jar setupTypes.selectedSetupTypeId=custom
-SP setup1.jar feature1.active=false

but feature 1 still gets installed.
Any idea what the problem could be?

Putting the same options in the silent file for setup1.jar works fine.

dajacques
03-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead. I followed the instructions, but when I run I still get this error..

The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: Invalid command line option: SP is not supported (1001) (403)

I build the classes, I included the IncludeCustomCmd wizard bean, and all three class files are in the setup.jar, but still no dice.

Anyone know how to get some more startup information out of the installation? I can only guess this bean isn't actually getting added to the startup beans, but I am not sure how to debug this.. :confused:

I must be missing some part of the process.

Thanks,
David.