PDA

View Full Version : What is the Desktop Service's new "context"?

ckessel
05-30-2003, 03:57 PM
The API for Desktop services repeatedly says:

context - A platform-dependent parameter used to determine the context of the desktop folder.

But what does that mean? What is the value supposed to be? I'm porting my 4.53 code over to 5.0 (which is mostly painless) and I'm stumped as to what I'm supposed to pass in.

Thanks,
Chris

RobertDickau
05-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Please see the ISMP 5 help page "Desktop Icon Product Action" (type "context" in the Search tab, and this is the second page listed); the description of the Folder Context property contains links to the different platform-specific help pages, describing what values are used for the context argument...

ckessel
05-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the pointer, that definitely helps.

Followup though. I'm doing this programatically. Where are these platform-specific strings defined so I can reference them in my code. Presumably they're a final static String somewhere in the API?

Thanks,
Chris

ckessel
06-02-2003, 11:33 AM
I've tried hard coding in "Program Menu for All Users", but no luck.

Does the folder have to be empty for removeDesktopFolder() to work? This is very frustrating. It doesn't throw and exception or anything. I can tell, based on print statements, that it's executing the removeDesktopFolder(). I know I'm passing in the right folder name, but nothing is happening.

Any ideas?

RobertDickau
06-02-2003, 11:40 AM
To represent the All Users Programs folder, anyway, you'll want to pass in "$AllUsersPrograms$". (This is "almost documented" on the help page "Win32 Native Service Implementation".)

mekongtech
11-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Hi support,

I think InstallShield needs to do a better job in the API java doc for this DesktopService's method. I share other developers' frustration too.
Anyway, I tried passing in "$AllUsersPrograms$" to removeDesktopFolder() method as you said but it does NOT work.

Help is greatly appreciated.