PDA

View Full Version : Overwriting an existing JVM?

ckessel
05-28-2003, 01:09 PM
I've seen several topics about the message that pops up if you try to install to an existing directory and it'll overwrite the JVM (such as on a reinstall).

The answer I've seen is to remove the jvm directory ahead of time, but I'm not sure that solves the problem in the way I hoped.

If I try to remove the directory in the Product tree, it's too late, it's already seen the conflict and has asked the question. I don't want to remove the conflicting jvm directory in the Installer tree since that won't recover and put the jvm directory back if the install then fails executing the product tree.

So, I guess my question is, how do I avoid this "overwrite existing jvm" message in a way that will recover the existing jvm directory if the Product part of my install fails?

Suggestions? Please?

Thanks,
Chris

CharlesW
05-30-2003, 08:53 AM
In MultiPlatform 5.0, there was a new global property added called "overwriteJVM". If you set this value to "yes", then the user will not be prompted; therefore, if you were to specify "-G overwriteJVM=yes" for the "wizard arguments" property of your native launcher, then I do not believe that you should see the prompt. If this does not work, then you will have to delete the existing _jvm directory if it exists.

kherman
06-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Waking up an old thread ;)

Where is the "overwriteJVM" property? I can not find where I need to set this flag in multi-platform.

Thanks,
Karl

Originally posted by CharlesW
In MultiPlatform 5.0, there was a new global property added called "overwriteJVM". If you set this value to "yes", then the user will not be prompted; therefore, if you were to specify "-G overwriteJVM=yes" for the "wizard arguments" property of your native launcher, then I do not believe that you should see the prompt. If this does not work, then you will have to delete the existing _jvm directory if it exists.

kherman
06-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Actually, here is exactly what is happeneing.

ISMP is creating setupwin32.exe as expected.

This is the process pertinant to the problem I am running into:

1a) At the install directory screen, I tell the installer to install to:
C:\Program Files\ABC
1b) At this screen, I press next.

2) The next sreen is the pre-install summary. I press next.

3) This screen is the installation progress screen. At 33% complete, I get the following warning/notification:
"A Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is being installed in "C:\Program Files\ABC\_jvm" and will overwrite the contents of this directory. Do you want to overwrite this directory?"
[Yes] [No] [Cancel]

How do I prevent this warning/notification from appearing. The directory in conflict is created by setupwin32.exe, so it is not pre-exisitng prior to starting the installation.

CharlesW
06-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Global properties are typically set from the commmand line or a response file. I belive that you can resolve global properties using $G. For more information on the subject, please see the MultiPlatform users guide.

kjwallis
09-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Anyone have an answer to KHerman's post above from June 2003? How do you make sure that prompt does not appear in ISMP 4.5?

Thanks!

mgmmclaugh119
01-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I am also getting this message when I run my installer. My installer installs a product to a new directory and creates a c:\Program Files\productName\_jvm directory that contains the jvm. Then at about %29 through the installation it asks "A Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is being installed in "C:\Program Files\ABC\_jvm" and will overwrite the contents of this directory. Do you want to overwrite this directory?"
[Yes] [No] [Cancel]

Press Yes and everything works fine.

I am running ISMP 4.5 and would greatly appreciate some guidance on how to avoid this prompt from InstallShield support.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

CharlesW
01-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Remove any JVM reslolution beans under the product tree. Typically, if you bundle a JVM with the native launcher, and bundle a JVM with a JVM resolution bean, you will see this problem.

jhllwy
04-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Karl,
The answer to your question.. "Where do I do this in the project" is on the Build Tab, under Distribution. For each launcher there is a line there "wizard arguments". This is where you would put -G overwriteJVM="yes".
Now I've tried this, using a new JVM from the previous release and I am getting a "JVM not found" error. So I am not sure how useful this is.
I do not use bundled JVMs, we ship a JVM on our install CDs, and our project is configured to use that one for the install and uninstall. I guess with this option, the UninstallerJVMResolution bean cannot find the JVM that is being specified.