PDA

View Full Version : Hiding product beans possible?

kleink
05-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Is it possible to hide a product bean so that it does not show up on the Features Panel?

For example, I have a condition on one of my Products, and if the condition fails I want to hide the product from the user in the feature panel. I can obviously set it to not be 'active' but the user can still re-check the box ... This will still not allow the user to install that product, but I do not want them to even see it.

Is this possible?

Jeff Dillon
05-21-2003, 01:22 PM
There is a Visible property on all features. You should be able to dynamically set this property.

William
05-21-2003, 04:03 PM
You mentioned that you are looking to hide products and not features, correct? I'm assuming, then, that you are dealing with a suite installation here.

Features and\or products whose "immutable" conditions are not met will not be displayed within the feature panel. Single-installer suites allow conditions to be set on child products, so you should be able to get your functionality by setting the child product's condition in question to be "immutable" (see below).

NOTE: An "immutable" condition is a condition whose state (ie. met or not met) is resolved once and only once. A condition is made "immutable" by setting it's "immutable" property to "true". As a side-note, some conditions (ie. PlatformProductBeanCondition, for example) are always "immutable".

kleink
05-21-2003, 04:27 PM
William -

Yes, I am doing a suite installation.

I didn't know about the immutable (I thought it just determined whether it was "resolved" more than the one time).

My initial fix was to completely remove the product from the tree if the condition failed, but I believe that is causing our uninstall problems...

I will try it this way.

thanks
scott

kleink
05-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Well, this actually made my uninstall problem even worse.

What happens is during the install I check a user entered value (license #) to validate what products they can install - this works perfectly, those that are not validated do not appear.

However, during an uninstall none of my products show up in the feature panel.

I do not want to prompt the user to enter their license during an uninstall, so that information is not available to the condition check (i think?)

If this is correct, how can I persist the license info into the uninstaller? I have looked at Document ID: Q105209.

But as always, I am sure this is something that is just not documented well or I missed it somewhere.