PDA

View Full Version : Store as External Files does not work allways !!

Markus Guenther
05-20-2003, 04:39 AM
I have created an installation routine using Multiplatform 5.0. The routine has a Files beans where the "Stored As" property is set as "External Resources" and the "External Resource Location" is set as "jre/win32". During runtime of the installation, I get inconsistent behaviour with respect to the above mentioned beans. At times the error listed below occurs.

On one machine, the installation runs fine, but on another it gives the following error (with the same build). Both the machines are Windows 2000 (professional) and the Java version is 1.4.1_01. This behaviour is also happening on the same machine during different builds. All in all, it seems to happen randomly but most of the times it does not work at all.

(20.05.2003 10:38:20), Install.product.install, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32ProductServiceImpl, dbg.install, JVM memory before installing Files (jreInstallerFiles): free=16893280 total=20971520
(20.05.2003 10:38:20), Install.product.install, com.installshielI have created an installation routine using Multiplatform 5.0. The routine has a Files beans where the "Stored As" property is set as "External Resources" and the "External Resource Location" is set as "jre/win32". During runtime of the installation, I get inconsistent behaviour with respect to the above mentioned beans. At times the following error occurs:

(20.05.2003 10:38:20), Install.product.install, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32ProductServiceImpl, dbg.install, JVM memory before installing Files (jreInstallerFiles): free=16893280 total=20971520
(20.05.2003 10:38:20), Install.product.install, com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32ProductServiceImpl, msg1, installing Files (jreInstallerFiles)
(20.05.2003 10:38:20), Install.product.install, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, err, java.io.IOException: File does not exist: C:\DOCUME~1\admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\LRE6F.tmp\jre\win32\j2re-1_4_1_02-windows-i586-i.exe
STACK_TRACE: 20
java.io.IOException: File does not exist: C:\DOCUME~1\admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\LRE6F.tmp\jre\win32\j2re-1_4_1_02-windows-i586-i.exe
at com.installshield.archive.ISMPFileURLStreamHandler.openConnection(ISMPFileURLStreamHandler.java:52)
at java.net.URL.openConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URL.openStream(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractWizardServices.getSpannedResource(AbstractWizardServices.java:799)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractWizardServices.getSpannedResource(AbstractWizardServices.java:731)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractWizardServices.getExternalResource(AbstractWizardServices.java:1014)
at com.installshield.product.ProductAction.getExternalResource(ProductAction.java:555)
at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.getResourceInputStream(Files.java:859)
at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.install(Files.java:437)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:1916)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:5149)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:369)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:333)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:133)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4532)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3727)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:40)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

On one machine, the installation runs fine, but on another it gives the following error (with the same build). Both the machines are Windows 2000 (professional) and the Java version is 1.4.1_01. This behaviour is also happening on the same machine during different builds.

d.wizard.platform.win32.Win32ProductServiceImpl, msg1, installing Files (jreInstallerFiles)
(20.05.2003 10:38:20), Install.product.install, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, err, java.io.IOException: File does not exist: C:\DOCUME~1\admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\LRE6F.tmp\jre\win32\j2re-1_4_1_02-windows-i586-i.exe
STACK_TRACE: 20
java.io.IOException: File does not exist: C:\DOCUME~1\admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\LRE6F.tmp\jre\win32\j2re-1_4_1_02-windows-i586-i.exe
at com.installshield.archive.ISMPFileURLStreamHandler.openConnection(ISMPFileURLStreamHandler.java:52)
at java.net.URL.openConnection(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URL.openStream(Unknown Source)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractWizardServices.getSpannedResource(AbstractWizardServices.java:799)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractWizardServices.getSpannedResource(AbstractWizardServices.java:731)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractWizardServices.getExternalResource(AbstractWizardServices.java:1014)
at com.installshield.product.ProductAction.getExternalResource(ProductAction.java:555)
at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.getResourceInputStream(Files.java:859)
at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.install(Files.java:437)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:1916)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:5149)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:369)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:333)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:133)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4532)
at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3727)
at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:40)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Markus Guenther
05-20-2003, 07:13 AM
During some testing, it was encountered that the problem is only detected when the installation is run using the setup.exe. If the setup.jar is run, the installation works allways fine.
There seems to be a very serious problem with the native setup.exe build.

William
05-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Could you do me a favor and do the following:

1: Run the EXE with the collowing command-line parameter:

-is:log <file name for logging>

This will cause the launcher to log its run-time information and give us a better idea of what is going on behind the scenes. Please post the log file so we can check it out.

2: Check the TMP and TEMP environment variables on a machine that it is failing on and post that information as well.

Thanks

Markus Guenther
05-22-2003, 02:17 AM
Logs as requested attached.

In the meantime we encountered that the statement before is not allways right. The setup.exe which worked suddenly on one machine after some number of builds, does not work on others.

William
05-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Another quick question... You mentioned that you had set the "externel resource location" to "jre/win32". Was that the property on the build configuration (ie. which specifies the relative directory for all external resources) or the Files bean itself (ie. which specifies the path relative to the path given in the build configuration)?

William
05-22-2003, 12:12 PM
One other thing..... OUt of curiosity, does the problem disappear when you change the folder name where the EXE file is from "disk1" to something that does NOT being with "disk"?

William
05-22-2003, 12:25 PM
A couple final questions... I swear =)

- Are you embedding the jar within your executable (ie. in the build configuration settings)? If so, then does the situation change when you do not?

- Are you able to reproduce this problem with a smaller project? If so, can you post that project?

We are able to reproduce something similar, but not able to reproduce the exact scenario that you are seeing and I want to make sure that scenario gets resolved as well.

William
05-22-2003, 03:02 PM
OK, I lied... =)

I believe that I have figured out how to reproduce the problem and I'm looking into a solution for it.

I also believe that I have a work-around for the time being. If you change your build configuration so that it does NOT imbed the archive within the launcher distribution, that should remove the problem that you are seeing. Do me a favor, try that out and post whether or not it resolved the problem for now.

Markus Guenther
05-23-2003, 03:27 AM
Thanks a lot for your help.

Configuring the setup that it does NOT embed the archive solved our problem.

The setup.exe does now work properly on all machines we tried.

William
05-23-2003, 12:21 PM
No problem... The resolution to the problem will be in the next service pack. =)